Tell Me If I'm Insane !!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Silver Landscaping, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Silver Landscaping

Silver Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'll be returning from Iraq soon and would like to get started in the excavating business for myself. I have a lot of experience working for someone else but have always wanted to take my own show on the road. Am I crazy to think that I can get started with a dump truck, trailer,and a backhoe of my own and rent the equipment that I don't have.
    I realize I will probably start out doing septic tank installations, agricultural, residential, pond cleaning ect. Pretty small stuff. Do you guys think that renting a lot of equipment to do these types of jobs looks unprofessional? Do you guys think that It is possible to operate in this manner until I can afford to start buying more equipment of my own and still keep the customers happy and not look like a complete jackleg doing it?
  2. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

i find that more and more people are rent gear to complete jobs, Even one man shows, an easy way to get started
  3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

yeah your insane!!!!....... to think that it looks unprofessional to rent equipment!!! theirs nothing at all wrong with bringing a brand new dependable machine on site to get a job done the fastest. you might not make as much as the guy that owns his iron but you also will save money in the end because you wont have the repairs and downtime like he has.

get yourself a good tandem axle dump and a 20 ton tag trailer and a newer low hour backhoe and you will be set.
  4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Around here there is several solo dump truck towing backhoe operators.
    Really with something like a Ford 555 theres no need to rent anythother equiptment, you will find more than enough to keep busy with just the back hoe.
  5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now, starting any business is a super risky idea. Its bad enough in a booming economy but right now, there isn't anything happening and those that need stuff done are not getting it done because they cannot get money to do it.

Re-enlist for 4 years and allow things to cool off and get back on course. Save your scratch and buy used equipment at auction and when you get out you will be in a better position to start up.

Sorry to be glum but I would probably go back in the Navy if I wasn't so stinking old.....:dizzy: Boiler Techs/Machinist Mates are in dire need all the time in the Nav and no one likes to work in the heat, I thrive on it.

Oh well, good luck man!
  6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

SilverLandscaping: don't let anyone steal your dream. if that's what you have your sights set on, come on home, check it out, do the math and then decide. Around our parts right now, the survivors/thrivers are either the real big companies or the small operators.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Do it man. I've always been a believer of doing anything I wanted to. I would advise that it is in fact tough times right now for anyone moving dirt, even the most established of business are seeing slowdowns that won't put them out of business, but they'll be a little more strapped to keep busy. If I was starting a business right now, it probably wouldn't be strictly excavation, everyone does that. I'd be aiming a little more specialized, which can be fairly risky as well, but if you can do something someone else can't, do the math on that one. I think right now, today, wouldn't be the best of times to jump in. I'd say wait 6-12 months and see how the market goes.

As far as renting equipment, nothing wrong with that either. Big company I worked for rented rollers and stuff, which I thought was really stupid considering they own somewhere in the neighborhood of $15 million worth of iron, but they did it anyway.
  8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

We rent all our equipment, the only thing we own is a trailer and truck.. Sure it is a little bit more headache for the smaller jobs, but that is because we arent fulltime..

And yeah I would try and find a specialized market, but trying to find anywork in this economy is hard...
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if I would try start something this year. Start looking at it in the spring of 2009.
  10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, you are insane, you must have been deprived of current events to want to start anything that gutsy.