Tell me if this is a load of crap?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MR Services, Mar 1, 2005.

1. MR Services

MR Services LawnSite Member

I talked to another landscaper in my area the other day. He and I were talking for about 30 minutes when he let the following statement out of his mouth. He told me that OSHA was going after landscapers all over the country to fine and shut down their business due to safety violations. He also said he was fined $10,000 because his crews were not wearing long sleeve shirts. Is this a load of crap or what?

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

He sounds like he's trying to eliminate some potential competition to me. I'm sick of reading all these scare tactic stories in various forums. Big brother is everywhere? I don't think so. I have trailer tags in my glove box. I cant tell you how many policemen have followed me without ever stopping me, not even for a warning. The moral of the story is that there are bigger fish to fry.

If the guy you quote is telling the truth, it is a rare isolated incident.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

its a load of crap.

4. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

how well do you know this guy?? mabe he's pulling your leg, but I've never heard of that before. now if your a licensed chemical applicator like myself, then, yes you would need to wear a long sleeve shirt with your uniform. I don't see how OSHA would want to target company's to shut them down. if it's true, then I'd be watcing my back.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner
    slat lake city, Utah :D :D :D

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think OSHA has better things to do that going around town issuing fines for not wearing long sleeved shirts.

6. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

I think if I were you, I would just stay away from this guy. You don't need him or his crap!

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah.... I forgot to say " it's a load of crap". :D

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup...BIG load

9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

You got a huge shovel on that one.

10. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

Don't under estimate what OSHA can and will do. This guy is probably stretching the truth. However, a guy that i get to do tree work for me was telling me the other day that he got fined by the big man 2 months ago. He went on to tell me that two guys watched him doing a tree job one day, after watching him for an hour they approached him. They told him that he was about the closest that they had seen to completly complying with OSHA regulations, then handed him a fine to the tune of $7,000. After meetings and all that legal stuff the fine was reduced to around $2,500. But it was still $2,500.