tell me........ "pros"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Jun 23, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is sure to be moved, but i don't care. about 4 yrs ago, i changed my fert programs. this is what i've noticed- when i am cutting, and ferting, the lawns are beautiful, and require much less attention, as the years go on, with me at the helm. generally, a brand new client will require a full program the first year, maybe the second year, but as the years go on under my supervision, using my techniques, the properties require less applications. here we are, almost into july. the competitions lawns are brown, crunchy, and starting to be over run with weeds. my lawns, both irrigated and non irrigated, are in fine condition. and my 3rd year properties.......most of them recieved nothing more than 18-10-10 for the first round, no pre - em, no post em, and are looking weed free and SEWEEEEET. SO, if you know what the freak your doing, you get desired results, with less chemicals and fert. if you don't know what you're doing, you do the same program every year. for the guys that DO KNOW what they are doing, do you practice TRUE ipm, and tone down your apps after year 2, 3, and four? or do you just pour it on, and collect the dough? and if you REALLY DO IT RIGHT, this means less and less apps, how does this effect your wallet? or do you do what i do, CHARGE THEM ANYWAY?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Your observations are correct.

And add to it the lessened amount of time to do weekly maintenance on that lawn compared to a "scotts" or "Truegreen" lawn.

As for charging for doing less..............let your conscience be your guide.............Oh, never mind......... :rolleyes:

3. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

bobby, you are just using proper "culture". It's something TGCL and Scott's know nothing about.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

this is correct, but, if you then apply less, and less, and you charge them less, and less, doesn't this effect your bottom line. example- you have 30 clients on the "full" program, @ $350 each. after 3 yrs, this $350 tab, should go UP, to almost $400. BUT, since you just worked yourself right out of a job, because YOU KNOW WHAT IS RIGHT, these 30 clients may only require half, or a third of a standard program. they are now 30 clients @$100. YOU HAVE JUST CUT YOUR gross on these 30 clients, by 300%. is this wise? what i do, is still charge them the same, plus annual increases, and if ever called on it, i "scout and evaluate, and take random soil tests". how else can you justify it? a $350 program, achieving maximum results, where others have failed, certainly does not warrent a 300% pay CUT! what do u do? at this point, i think i'm worth ALOT MORE MONEY, since i #1- got the desired results, where others have failed. and #2- did it with minimal harm to the environment

5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My question is, how do you get them to fire TGCL or Scotts or whoever and start using your service when they hire you to mow the lawn?

I am finding that customers are very reluctant to make the switch.

I find that they call and ask for a price quote for lawn mowing. Fine, I quote a price. Then, I am the one who normally has to bring up the weed control program. Many will ask if there is a disccount for using my company for both services, but I am already at the lowest possible price I can be for mowing and there is no wiggle room on that.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

this is your problem, being at the "lowest possible price". i generally try to sell packages. say i sign a new client up, thier package is $200 a month x 10 months= 2k per season. where i benefit is.....the package goes up a few bucks every season, the property looks better every season, but i do less work there, every season. i make out on the price increase, and the fact that i'm doing LESS for that increase, but, the results are better.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have found that if i do the best job i can and make the lawn look great
    i get the boot just for the reason u stated bob it cost $$ to get my lawn done and what r u really doing i dont have weeds its green why should i pay u i can mess it up on my own i dont need and i get fired or they hire the big guy at half my price
    i have had this happen in the past with a few people
    but i am a salesman and i put on a great show and i have found out what to say and do to keep them thinking they need me

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

so then basically, you either bullcrap them, or reduce your fees?

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i do what i have to lol but i dont lower my price

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

so then you lie to them? ....i love it