tell me the difference?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by scooterbug311, Feb 15, 2008.

1. scooterbug311

scooterbug311 LawnSite Member

Ok everyone,
    sounds to me like there ear ponds that have fish in them and then there are koi ponds. What is the difference between a "true Koi Pond" and a pond with some fish in it. Now i also want to know what is a go depth for a pond. some say 2-3 some say 3-4, 4-6 so on and so forth. I hear that two foot is perfect. Whats your take on it. help me out with this delema
  2. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

A true koi pond is pretty extensive. It has bottoms drains, LOTS of filtering, is much deeper than the average backyard pond, and has quite a bit of cost in it. Look at There are some koi enthusiasts on that site who have true koi ponds. Just to let you know, some of them can be ruthless when comparing water gardens and koi ponds. There are tons of water gardens out there that are only 2-3 feet deep, have gravel bottoms, no bottom drain, and healthy happy koi. My pond at my house is like this and I have seen lots others like it. There, of course, is huge debate about this but, that just makes it even more interesting.
  3. CJF

CJF LawnSite Member

There are different kinds of ponds, fish ponds, lily ponds and koi ponds.

A true Koi pond has straight sides and no rocks either on the bottom or
    around the edge. The rocks can injure the fish. The real koi hobbyists
    prefer to just have a sterile pond without plants, rocks etc. Heck, these koi aficionado's spend thousands of dollars buying Koi. Many of them are members of Koiphen and Koi Shack.

I think the majority of people that have koi, don't go to Japan to buy their koi, and spends thousands of dollars of them. The majority of backyard pond hobbysits, are your average person like us, that put in a pond, discovered koi and had to enlarge their pond the following season to accommodate the marvelous little creatures know as koi. I myself prefer to have it all, a pretty pond, with rocks on the shelves, plants, lots of surrounding landscape and beautiful koi.
    So, if you're in the market to built ponds for the average homeowner, that wants a decorative pond with koi... you'll need a section that's to 3 1/2 to 4 foot deep, with one or two bottom drains (a must) an adequate filtration system and big enough for the koi to be able to take nice long swims.

This is a favorite photo of our
    decorative koi pond, from 2003 taken with my 1.3 mega pixel camera.
    We originally built our pond in 1997, it was just to enhance the landscape, I thought we could do some unique plantings around a small backyard pond...never realizing what a wonderful adventure we were in for!
    what a great adventure it would become.

A real serious koi owner, would run in horror from our type of pond cause of the rocks on the edges.

summer of 1997

[​IMG] Joann
  4. William Burnison

William Burnison LawnSite Member

Scooterbug, The subject of seperating water feature types has been a long one. Everyone around the country has their own version of what is what!

The best answer that I can pass along is the official definitions as adopted by the National Association of Pond Professionals, (NAPP). These are the "only" definitions accepted by the Federal Government and thirty-seven of the fifty states. These same definitions are used in the only nationally recognized certification test.

They have several levels of water features, but the basic ones I remember are:
    -water garden, a relatively shallow body of water typically void of fish and used primarily for housing, displaying and propagating aquatic plants. Usually from six inches to eighteen inches in depth.

-pond, usually larger than a water garden but most noticably deeper and used for the collective habitat of both fish and aquatic plants. Usually twenty inches to forty-eight inches in depth.

-koi pond, much deeper than a pond, this form of water feature is professionally designed to house, display and propagate koi varieties. These systems typically have very elaborate filtration systems used to provide optimum water quality for essential Koi health. Usually from forty-eight inches deep, up to nine or ten feet in depth.

They also provide definitions for waterfalls, streams, weeping walls, fountains, etc. They believe, (and I agree), that all of us should be speaking the same lingo so tha twe can adequately share ideas and knowledge. If we are all using our own terminology and no one knows what the other is talking about, then we are just setting ourselves back in our progress.

I like using the NAPP Definitions. When I am talking to anyone about a project, I know we are on the same page.
  5. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Just remember for as many "rules" there are in the pond business, there are people who have successfully broken every one of them. This is where i think rules become opinions.