Tell me what I'm doing wrong with my deck....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chicksdme2, May 9, 2006.

1. Chicksdme2

Chicksdme2 LawnSite Member

OK, This has been bugging me forever and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have a 60 inch Dixie and a nice R.B.G. grinder. I know the blades are right on or close to 30 degrees, and the deck is clean. When I mow normal, nice green grass, i dont get a good cut. I know the blades are sharp and the deck is clean. Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

What year is the mower? And what exactly is it doing?

3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the under side of the deck is clean for proper grass discharge and also that the deck is level from side to side and front to rear.

4. chimmygew

Actually, he said the deck was clean, as for the deck pitch, you want a slight pitch forward, not level. Also check your tire pressure to make sure it is ok. Dixie had a lot of problems with their decks streaking and came out with a lot of updates (none of which worked on mine) for the deck.

5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How fast are u going? May I dare ask this one, But are your blades right side up? Are you saying it mows weeds and crappy yards better than when you are cutting what you consider good grass? What type of grass are you cutting? Are the blades balanced? Belts are good? Possibly the height you are cutting the grass is not the right height for that particular grass, leaving a less than desirable look? I am sure someone on hear can shed more light. Good Luck!!!!

6. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Should have got that craftsman rider. hehehehe

REV.

7. Chicksdme2

Chicksdme2 LawnSite Member

I know the belts are in good shape, tires are dead on pressure, i'm mowing at a decent, but not too fast rate, and the deck is clean. The stripe still looks streaked. It upsets me cause I know dixies have such potential to have a nice stripe. I dont know what else to do. The deck is set on 4 and I'm only cutting off about 1/4 of the blade of grass off when I mow. All fescue grass. i dont know what to do

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Put your mower on #4 on level concrete. Get a tape measure and measure from concrete to the blade tip. Do this on each blade and see if you come up with same height. If not then you have some work to do. You might have a spindle going bad. Good Luck!!!

9. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Also let us know what the blade height is at #4.

10. chimmygew

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=33527

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=116821&highlight=dixie+streaking

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=73160&highlight=dixie+streaking

I recommend X Blades coupled with the new flat blade or Dixie's new twist blades for this time of year. If you are trying any type of mulching blades, get rid of them. Early spring growth, combined with wet conditions, will produce cole slaw if you are using Gators or something similar. Check your deck pitch. You would get a better cut with the current conditions with at least a level deck, or even better, a quarter inch reverse pitch. (lower in back) Try these suggestions and let us know what happens. Also, what year is this mower?