tell me what you think of this price for the season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brianslawncare, Mar 15, 2009.

1. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

im in scranton,pa and the local paper the landscapers started advertizing. most guys are the same best prices, quality work,etc. one low baller has that he, has a mowing special from april to october for 499.00 that includes, trimming and blowing!!!!! is he crazy?????? thats roughly 72.00 per month per house. even if its 6 months thats 83.16 per month. how can any one afford to run there machines and pay insurance?????? i have seened this guy around and he has commercial equiptment and a helper!!!! any idea what i should do about advertizing, is it worth 300.00 for one month for me???? or should i try something else? but what? thanks guys:hammerhead:

2. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's small yards and cutting biweekly, he could come out ok with that. Up-sell some shrub trims and fert and he'll make some extra money. I've got some small yards that are about $35/cut every 2 weeks.

3. ctvalley

ctvalley LawnSite Member

First off spelling helps. A D V E R T I S I N G

My best guess is that this "special" is to draw interest only. Think about it this way. What if his special is for bi weekly mowing and not weekly? 499/14 mowings= 35.00 per mowing.
    I offer 50% off springcleanups...they don't take long and I charge a "higher" [price since there is so much work to be had. However, my 50% off is only valid with a signed service agreement for weekly or biweekly lawn service and fall cleanup.
    It gets phone calls in to the business. That's all this other guy is doing with his special

4. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Bi-Weekly was the first thought. And most just say that and then they sell you stuff you dont need. I would do bi-weekly for $35 if i could sell all the other stuff needed in the yard.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just follow your business plan.

6. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

heck in the heat of summer he could be only cutting 1 a month! around here I can do a average size lawn in 15 min (yes they are small) I could make a profit at that price

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

he probably doesn't have one......

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All right.
    Then he should probably take some time out, and start working on one.

9. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

ok i do have a plan. and its triing to stay afloat. i see what you are telling me, but dont you think in the spring with all the wet conditions, that every two weeks it will take longer? its harder on equiptment, and takes more time! after i posted this the add has changed, its says mowing special!! maybe he is thinking twice? what kind of advertising do you guys do? is the flyers working or is the local papers better? thank you

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

LOL, how old are you? So your business plan is to "stay afloat"? Obviously you don't have a actual business plan drawn out to follow. If you did, chances are you wouldn't be asking if the way someone else is running their business is going to work. Every business out there runs differently. You can't build your business off what others are doing. In other words, you can't just say, it's working for them so that's how I'll do it.