tell me what you would have done

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 12, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

many many moons ago.........this guy, i was cutting his lawn, and he ends up selling his house. the new owners would not be moving in for a couple months. it's late fall, his grass bill is paid up. so he calls me, and asks how much i would charge to clean the leaves. i say $150.i can do it middle of next week. he says fine, i'll be at the house this weekend, i'll leave the $$$ in the back shed. ok, fine. i go there on wed, look in the back shed, there is $100, and a note:" bob, i think $100 is more than enough to clean the leaves, please take care of it, thanks." so what do you do now?
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Leave the money and a note saying thanks but no thanks!
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

since he is not going to be a repeat customer,if you thought you could do it and make a reasonable profit for the 100 take the money do the job and move on.
    If he were going to be a repeat customer............different story.
  4. TELL him to put it where the toliet paper hangs and wipe his ass with it.
    150 aint 100 ..if i quote a price and the price is agreeable it aint renegotiable .
  5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Do $100 worth of work and leave a not explaing that you will come back and do the remaining $50 worth when he leaves you a $50.
  6. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with this answer.
    What did the lawn look like after you saw it. Will $100.00 cover it?
  7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

for 2/3 the cash, I think I'd pick up 2/3 the leaves.
  8. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

I would call him and tell him professionally that the agreement was $150.
  9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, that's an easy one. I would not do the job simply because the agreed price was not met. Let's say the shoe was on the other foot, you agreed to do it for $150.00 but did a half-azz job and told him " that's about $150.00 worth" I don't think he would be too pleased. So leave the money and tell him when the other fifty shows up, so will you.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

here is what i did: since the price was agreed on, and i did schedule the work, and i did drive over there, i took the $100, and did about half the job. called and told him there must have been a misunderstanding, that he owes me another $50. he said he will mail a check. i told him unfortunately, i can schedule the remaining work in about a week or so. he mailed the check. we were well into december at this point, it snowed. i mailed his $50 check back to him explaining it snowed, we packed up for the season. it actually worked out fine for me. spent an hour there for a crisp $100