Tell me which would be better for me, PLEASE.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tkcrabby, Jul 20, 2006.

1. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

First please keep in mind that I need to keep the cost down as much as possible, BUT I started with the idea of spending a maximum of $3200 or so and now I guess I'm up to a Max of $4500 or so,,,, here's the choice's as of this posting:

1. Dixon Ram 50" cut with 25 hp Briggs twin $4,170
    2. Dixon Ram Mag 50" cut with 20 hp Kohler twin $4,450
    3. eXmark Lazer Z ct 48" cut with 18 hp Briggs twin $5,100
    4. Hustler Fas Trak 52" cut with 20 hp Kohler twin $4,500
    5. Bush Hog Estate Series 52" cut with 20 hp Kohler $4,700

I didn't want to spend this much BUT if it will ensure that I get a mower that WILL last a long LONG time I'll do it. The Dixon dealer is by far the closest to me at 10 miles with the others being 35-45 miles away,,,,, and the Dixon dealer is a very good guy to deal with ,,,,,,, I know this is very important but I want to make sure I get a good machine to,,,,,,,, Which will most likely give me the best service and for how long? It's only be mowing an acre and a half, it's sort of rough though................

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i've never driven a dixon, but the couple of hustlers i have borrowed/test driven were awesome. they were super z's though. their customer support is supposed to be second to none. i have heard of others here using dixon, some said good things, others bad, but i think dealer support, while certainly important, is probably not AS critical for the homeowner as it is to lco's (being down for 2-3 days isn't going to take bread off your table as a homeowner, although it still isn't fun). if they will let you, demo all three and make your choice based on YOUR experience and the feelings you get from your dealer. good luck.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The Exmark is the only one you've listed that has wheel motors rather than being hydrostatic...........

Otherwise I'd probably tell you to go with the Hustler next in line........

4. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

"if they will let you, demo all three and make your choice based on YOUR experience and the feelings you get from your dealer."

The eXmark dealer has no grass anywhere even remotely close to him and he wouldn't get out of his chair to go out and talk with me about the Lazer Z ct,,,,,,,, didn't really act like he cared if he sold it or not , and it was a 2005 model,,,,,,,,,, he's most likely the worst dealer of the bunch,, it's a shame to because I really would like to try it out and get together with him (or another eXmark dealer) on the price. I've got an email into the Hustler/Bush Hog dealer (same place),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I haven't been able to find much at all about the Bush Hog ZTR BUT I have found a lot about the Hustler's , not a LOT about the Dixon's BUT my neighbor has a Dixon Ram 50 that he got late last year and I've used it twice on my lawn and it's great except for one thing, it really makes some very bad "wind rows" I think that's the right term.
    There's a Scag and a Ferris dealer who's a great guy I've known for years but his best price on a comparable cut size & hp model of Scag and Ferris are $5995 on each, I know they're both great machines BUT they are way out of my ability to pay for,, so I have to chose between the models I listed above.

5. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

"The Exmark is the only one you've listed that has wheel motors rather than being hydrostatic"

I know, that's the reason I'm hoping to find another eXmark dealer close enough to me that I could get one through him instead of this deadbeat dealer here,,,,,,,,,,, otherwise I am looking hard towards the hustler,,,,, thanks for your reply!

6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a used commercial mower.

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

How's your credit? Perhaps the better units would be more affordable to you if spread out over time instead of all at once ? I've heard a rumor that one of the brands you mentioned may be coming out with a homeowner minded unit sometime in the fall of this year.. (but as with a few recent announcements from that company.. don't hold your breath too long)

8. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

"How's your credit? Perhaps the better units would be more affordable to you if spread out over time instead of all at once ? " It's fine, in fact I'm going to be using it when I buy,,,,,,, BUT I need to keep the payment amount down and the length of the loan down as short as is doable

"I've heard a rumor that one of the brands you mentioned may be coming out with a homeowner minded unit sometime in the fall of this year.. (but as with a few recent announcements from that company.. don't hold your breath too long)"
    Really, which one?

9. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

i would reccomend staying away from dixon, hustler has a supurb warrenty on all there equipment, if you wanted somthing a little bit more tought in a commercial model, look at the mini Z you can get one 42/19 which would be a little bit smaller than what your looking for but would be a commercial model, there in your orice range also.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Tell me how much are you mowing? is the ground smooth or rough, are there many obstacles do you intend to use the mower for anything besides mowing. Are you competent and will you keep up with all scheduled maintenance?
    To broad a question with out knowing the particles as I asked.