1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tell the customer, or not?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PR Fect, Jun 15, 2006.

1. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, so I 'am at one of our regular job sites. Its a large residential lot. I'm in the back working on some 20 foot spruce trees. Trimming out the dead. Up pulls a truck with gutter gleaning lettered on its side. The guy gets out un loads a ladder, fires up a ECHO back pack blower, puts on the blower and picks up the ladder. Goes to the back of the home, climes to the highest point, and starts blowing out the gutters. Next lowest, then the next lowest, and then the garage. Pack's up and leaves. Never checked the down spouts, or did any clean-up. He was in and out in less than 15. Now we mow, and keep the planting beds clean because we trim the hedges. So my guess is that we will be cleaning up his mess. We do also clean gutters our self's, but its not a service we advertise, or do very often. Do I say something to the owner? Do we just go about our own way and not worry about the other guys shotty work? PR
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NOPE! Cause it is non of your business and IF what he did creates a problem the homeowner will know it and will know he did it.
  3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Tell the homeowner the method used creates a problem for you which in turn COULD (NOT will) end up costing them more for the clean-up...then you may (or may not) wish to mention that in the future you also do gutters but a bit more professionally (albeit more expensive given the way the other guy works...he HAS to be cheap)...JMO
  4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I'd certainly tell her. That is a future gutter cleaning customer for you. Let them know to ask next time because you will do all the things that he didn't.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I might mention it if it comes up in the way of conversation, but I wouldn't go out of my way to say much.
    And I would not clean up that mess.
  6. lawns4less

lawns4less LawnSite Member

Most of our business is about perception. How you percieve something may not be how someone else does. That being said, he may think he si doing a good service cause thats how he was showed. when in truth all in here will say we percieve is as poor. I totally disagree in saying its none of your business.... You have an obligation to your customer and there home. If you dont, you dont deserve them as your customer. You need to tell them that you didnt approve of his practice, chances are they dont either.
    good luck
  7. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

i couldnt agree more, i never bad mouth other companies the customer will figure it out
    not to mention the customer will prolly just think your lying to get the work
  8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge them for the extra cleanup work it caused you if any and explain the charge .

I showed up at a job recently and started trimming and find lots of picks and piles of rocks in the turf around the edges of the beds, from the landscaping. The bushes had all been trimmed but not cleaned up very well and in the cleaning they pulled a bunch of the landscape rock into the grass and left it. I charged them for the extra time it took me to rake this rock back into the landscape so it wouldn't ruin my mower blades. I don't know if the homeowner did this or anther company but I am pretty sure it was another company. I am not cleaning up after someone else for free though.
    My customer paid the extra with no question or comment.....YET

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've seen several gutter cleaning companies around here, and none of them clean up the debris afterward. So really since I don't know what exactly the service is supposed to entail I don't bother tattling on them.

I did have a customer once ask me how long they were there because the gutter guys blew in and out quick, so I just said maybe 5-6 minutes but left it at that...
  10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I would mention it especially if you are responsible for how the lawn looks.

I clean eavestrough all the time and you cannot do a good job with a blower in fact, I think that's ********. Steal his work.

You must clean the gutters by hand if NECESSARY and then rinse them out with a hose and make sure all the down spouts are clear. Sometimes you even have to take the down spouts off. Usually if they are plugged you take the hand sprayer off the hose and just shove the hose down the downspout like an enema. It's easy work no skill required only work ethic. (don't walk on a wood shingle roof that is wet)

That guy that cleaned the eavestrough is basically a thief as far as I'm concerned plus he dumped all those leaves on your lawn, on your work. Rat him out and steal his job.