Tell the truth

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DJ Contracting, Jul 30, 2005.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Well i was out cutting Friday, and the thought came to me, can anyone remember how they reacted when your parents told you to cut the grass? I remember i used to hate it and now look at us.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I had to because that is what paid off my first Honda Walk-Behind. I still like doing it because it is the nicest lawn in the neighborhood. I can't wait to get my eXmark! Its too heavy to use on my thin lawn though.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Not so much my parents, but my grandparents lived at the other end of the street from us back when I was a young buck. My grandpa would pay me the exorbitant sum of $10 to cut their lawn...seemed like a good deal at the time. He said I should try to drum up some business from the neighbors, that I could make a couple grand over the course of the summer. I always thought it was too hot to be outside working though. If only he had lived long enough to see me now...LOL.

4. The Grass Amputator

The Grass Amputator LawnSite Member

I grew up on a 7 acre corn farm. The main house was situated on 2 additional acres which we had to mow with a pushmower. I absolutely hated that chore. My dad would threaten to "yank off your arm and beat you with the bloody end if you don't get the grass cut!!!" It would take me a week to cut the grass, only because I kept starting the job, then quitting when he turned his back.

When I got to be a teenager and wanted a car, he gave me this evil, wicked, grin.......Paybacks are a mother, LOL.... I ended up cutting acres & acres of grass, and eventually developed a sick, sadistic taste for it. Now, it's all I do. Dad would be proud.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The first home I owned was a condo so I wouldnt have to cut the grass. When I was a kid I had to trim around a fence that was long (seemed to be about 10 miles at the time) with a hand clippers because my dad was too cheap to buy a weedeater.

6. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

My folks had a fair sized lawn that I had to mow with an 18" Sunbeam electric mower. My Dad hated any engine that didn't have an electric starter
    and we didn't have a big enough area to justify a rider. I can still remember
    buying them a Toro rider in lieu of paying them back some money I owed them. They wouldn't accept payment any other way. It was five hp, 25" cut and it seemed like a Rolls at the time. :D

7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

when i was about 12 or so we lived in a small subdivision of about 35 homes.i would use my dads 21 inch self propelled craftsman mower and do lawns for $7.00 each.

8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I never had to at home. But I started working on a golf course when I was 14.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I started with a Craftsman reel mower and a pair of hand clippers for the stragglers along the fence. We stepped up to a heavy steel Craftsman that you had to wind up and then pop the lever to start it. Remember the old days before the safety rules. Oh I also have some experience with the stick edger but mine was propelled by me, I still have that. I enjoyed cutting grass when I was a kid and I mean a young kid, I was pushing that reel mower when I was about 6.

10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I started cutting the yard when I was 12 or so, and did so for the next 10 years. My dad never paid me....not that I expected it. But to answer your question......I was not very fond of cutting grass back then.