Telling the customers about sub contracting!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Larson Lawn Care, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I will be sub contracting a few services. On my doorhanger, I advertise that we can handle all of their lawns needs. When someone calls me, and asks if I do fertilizing (which I will be sub contracting) what should I tell them...What do you guys tell them.
    -I was thinking about telling them: "We do not personally do the fertilizing, we subcontract it out." I don't really know the most professional way to tell them about the situation. I don't want to scare people off!

2. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

You need to get in good with the people you are subbing to, then you can price for them. That way you tell the customer a price for a total package and then explain the subbing part, but also explain that you take all responsibility for the subs, if they have a problem call you and you take care of it. After all that is why you mark up subs service.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Let them know that since you do primarily mowing, that you use another company that strictly does applications and are more knowledgable in the area. This is done to provide them the service and quality that they deserve.

4. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

AMEN!
    It is required that my company info (and phone number) be on the info that is left behind when a treatment is done.
    While it doesnt happen often, I have had the contractors customer call me for what is usually a totally unrelated concern.
    I will always notify the contractor so that they can handle the problem.

And last but not least when its time to pay the sub, remember the sub works for you not for the individual customer

Your trouble getting paid by Mrs Homeowner is not his problem.
    The work was done. Always be sure to pay your sub as agreed.
    You owe the sub, The homeowner does not.

5. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I am the sub.
    While I work for some very knowledgeable and trustworthy folks I do the final pricing.
    I will share info so that the contractor can give a "ball park" but again the final price comes from me.

Always remember the sub works for you.
    Your collections troubles are not his concern.
    Always pay him/her as agreed.

6. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys!