Temp Agency

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by oldturf, May 31, 2005.

1. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I am having such a bad time finding and keeping employees this year that I am thinking about using a temp agency to keep me supplied. They pay all ins. workman's comp, unemployment and taxes. I can have my current people ran through them and have them take care of all my paper work. I can then do without an accountant and save some money there. They have given me a contract showing a $10.00 an hour man costing me $17.28 per hour total through them. This is about a dollar an hour more than my current cost but they claim that they can keep me in people as I need them. This should save me money, if true, because I could use part time employees in heavy load times and not have to try to keep full time guys all the time.
    Has anyone else tried this,and if so, how did it work out.

2. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Never personally hired any, but working for other people I have worked with some and have not really been impressed. Most did not want to work hard, and I came to see why they worked for a temp agency.

3. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I never had any employees through a temp service. But about 12 years ago when in a period of substandard employment, I signed with a couple of temp services, and got sent out on a huge variety of assignments. A number of my short term bosses commented that they normally did not expect to get much work out of a temp--I was something of an exception I guess because I got a number of offers of full-time jobs.

If you have current workers you are satisfied with, and you run them thru the temp service to cut down your paperwork, the employees might also gain by getting some benefits you don't provide them now. But keep in mind they might also be offered other assignments they decide to accept instead of working for you. You might look into whether you can specify in the contract that you have first claim on these employees whenever you have the need.

You probably should also specify a lower pay rate for any other workers they send, with a possibility of a raise for satisfactory workers.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A good friend of mine uses one, but it is more of a payroll service. He's had the same employees for several years, now (9 crews). It works out real well for him, because it comes out to about the same amount if he did all the taxes and such himself.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi oldturf,

Here is another post that may provide you with helpful information.

any luck with temp agencies?

6. rsls

rsls LawnSite Member

i have used temp agencies a few times and have had nothing but trouble. They show up late, are lazy and unmotivated. One guy had his exwife follow us to the job site(what a drama), another time i asked this guy to scape some dirt, i gave him explicit instructions to dig about 2 inches and i would be right back half hour later came back and had a 1.5 foot trench. i will probly never use them again if i can help it but if you decide to use them do so with the thot in mind that you will need to supervise, supervise, and then supervise some more... good luck

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Last year I called a couple temp agencies just out of curiosity to get some info. Both told me that they couldn't help me because of the power equipment.
    Anyone else ever got that response?

But even if they could have helped me, I really don't know if I would use them based on my experiences with temps at the furniture store I use to work for. The guys that would show up were bottom of the barrel! I'm sure there are exceptions, but those guys definitely left a bad impression.