Temp company got into the lawn biz

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soccer coach, Oct 31, 2002.

1. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I got a letter today. Dear homeowner an extra set of hands are available at your convenience. Leaf raking, lawncare, snow and ice removal and holiday light install.
    I about had to scream :angry: ! This same company wants my biz for temp help but yet competes against me for work at a fraction of the price after companies like mine have trained them to do it. We even had an old worker take some accounts to the temp service to save them some money and kiss but to his boss.
    This is a big chain temp company all over the country so don't think this will not happen in your area. I called them and asked about contractors permits to do biz and individual bonding. They told me that it didn't apply to them. They have done alot of work for the city and they understand they can save them money so nothing is said. If the industry as a whole stands up and finds other help this will stop. The office here sends out 30-40 guys a day this time of year to do yardwork for homeonwers. That adds up to a lot of work they took out of the professionals pocket. I'm sick of the laws only applying to the few and not all. About ready to sell the whold bang thing and let someone else worry about the next illegal wroker or company that runs illegal cutting this industry down a joke. The lady at the temp service said it is hardly a profession," most guys she finds that do this kind of work are looking for the fix or beer money". I swear my wife and 2 buddies of mine had to follow me around all day to keep me from going down and cutting her throat:angry: . Please support others that sell only to contractors and use only help that don't go behind your back and use the training you helped give them to put you out of biz. She told me they billed out at 10.50 per man hour to a homeowner and I should be able to beat that anyway so she didn't see the deal. That is cheaper than what they charge me!:angry:
    Sorry just had to vent abit. We can stop this now or help it along by looking the other way. It is your choice. Ryan

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Man that sucks, and is stupid. I don't know how a guy could compete against that sort of s**t. I know the feeling. In my currnet biz I can't compete with the same thing, dealers will hire clowns to drive their cars for them at cut throat pricing. Like $35 for a 100 mile or so distance. Must be they pay em $15 or $18 and the rest goes for fuel. Other wise there is no way I can run the numbers and make it work. I know they are not figuring it right, but you cannot convince them of that. And you can't convince them of the draw backs either.

Break downs, and then they got to pay a tow truck

fuel costs for driving 3 or 4 at a time won't be much less than what mine is to haul that many, then they got to send a bus to pick up all the drivers, this is where I know they are not figuring any thing for pricing

added miles

clowns that hot rod the cars

their insurance exposure, here is another one, from what I understand dealership insurance does not cover the vehicle for an extended trip like, only test drives around town, (that is what I was told)

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

When you see these people working near where you work go up to the house ring the doorbell and when they answer the door ask them if they did a criminal record check on their new lawn guy.
    The other thing you can do is do some research and document all the news stories on break ins by repairmen, pool boys etc then make a flyer and hand it to the home owner.
    Or you could just keep plugging away.

Brickman, I cross the Border every week and I go into Customs and there are always a bunch of old guys who drive cars from the Auctions, they do it just for something to do and to get a free dinner.

4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I am trying to make a living, pay my house loan, and not have to file bankruptcy. If they want some thing to do, go to the Y and swim.

5. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Last year temp co had a worker rape a girl that was slow while they had been working at the house. How is that for bad P.R.? It was on the tube for awhile and the press. You would think that would slow the biz for them. :angry: I'm convinced after studying this abit that most don't care who does the lawn, nasty lookin bum or not. I wonder how many would let that same nasty lookin bum in the house to work? The temp co told us they do alot of houses by Iron Gate, one of the nicest areas of town. I'm thinking of getting into carpet cleaning and sell off all our stuff. I see a few guys that work cheap but hey I think that is everywhere.
    Brinkman, I don't know how you do it as I looked into hauling cars like you know. Guys will run 3.5 hrs. away and drive a car back for 25.00 plus gas money here. 7 hrs. for 25.00??? Last year I had a major chemical co. offer me a job as a foreman for the landscape devision. I have been kicking myself ever since. I could get back to what I love to do and let someone else worry about making money :D .

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Yeah, that's right. Same here. Then some people refer to us as "yard boys", like we are just some unprofessional, low-life guys just trying to make beer money, because they are "scrubs" out there that are doing just that, making this industry look unprofessional.

7. That is what is so great about this business, anyone can do it and everyone can make some spare cash. Hopefully the day labour service guys will see the light and get there own equipment. They are most likely only seeing about $6.50 per hour out of what the agency bills. If they get their own equipment they could make $25 per hour on a reguler basis. I use a agency where I am at and they have allways treated me well.

8. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

You know, I have never had anyone question the professionalism of what I do. Many customers will ask a question about thier lawn, and are impressed with how much there is to know, (and what they didn't). Do you guys get alot of disrespect?

9. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! I love this blazing fast new Lawnsite! The page loads as soon as I hit the submit button.

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Only the PITA ones that think they know it all. They seem to think they know more about lawn care than I do. Thats also the ones that I'll pass on and leave it to the ones that will put up with their BS.