Temp Employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CommercialCuts, Mar 23, 2001.

1. CommercialCuts

CommercialCuts LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Anybody ever use temp labor? What kind of job did they do?
    What did it cost you per hour? Thinking about keeping a labor service on call. I was told it would cost me $13.00 per hour for the service. And they pay all taxes and workcomp. Doesnt sound to bad but want to hear some feedback!!

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

3. 1st impressions

1st impressions LawnSite Member

CommercialCuts

The best advice I can give is to actually go to the agency
    early in the morning and see who is waiting for work. My
    experience is that you may not want many of these people
    operating any power equipment. I have used them for clean-ups, dethatching, and mulch jobs.

I'm not saying you will not find anyone but you have to pick and choose carefully. Remember, these guys are being paid minimum wage or slightly higher.

4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I've used them in the past... When there was no other choice, if that answers your question!!! As the day goes along you find out why, by far most of them don't have a steady job.

5. kutnkev

kutnkev LawnSite Member

cc.
    where are you in mo? if in st.louis i can give you a few good offices to call. reason is, they may have the same name but if you go to mid rivers you will get better folks on average than downtown. those are the ones most are afraid of. i know the best in no. virginia and st.louis

6. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Try "Labor Ready" if you have one in your area. Has worked well for the bull work but watch close if they use the equipment. When you first sign up make sure you negotiate the price per hour with the office manager. Worked for me and saved some good $. The system does take away some of the headaches of employment and is good for filling in versus turning away that BIG job. Good luck.
    Raymond

7. CommercialCuts

CommercialCuts LawnSite Member
    from Mo

kutnkev, midrivers labor finders is the one i am thinking of using. is this the one you are talking about.

8. kutnkev

kutnkev LawnSite Member

thats one of the better ones. the labor finders near fenton is a good one also. you get lots of laid off union workers of all sorts vs work release and half way house types. they are mostly looking for something untill "work" picks up and are good workers. dont go near so.grand and the ones on the rock road are not very good. if you need a toyota call vic austin over at pappas tell him georgie sent ya. also most of the guys out your way have cars. hope it helps.

kevin