1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Temp. for microbes?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Harley-D, May 14, 2007.

1. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

New to some of this but i have some friends that swear that the soil be a certain temp (summer temps) for microbial based fertilizers to be effective. :confused:

How warm does it need to be? ;)

I would assume that most ferts with mychorrizal fungi attached would be good for actively growing turf or ornamentals. So soil temps in the 55-65 range, right?

I'm talking about manufactured organic fert not horse manure. So no horses*%$ answers. :laugh:
  2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say there Is more activity happening In the soils at 55+ temps...yes...and thats No horse doo doo:laugh:
  3. Harley-D

Appreciate the hear-say but does anyone have technical university research or data that can back this up. Need tangible info, not what a cousin or friend maybe said to someone one time.
  4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Should be good arond 60+. Not exactly the response you want, But the warmer the soil, the more activity in the soil. Only 2,412 until my knighting.;)
  5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

If you wanted links to research or data, maybe you should have checked with your cousin, Google.....

6. Harley-D

I have way more than that before i get there but i'm tryin. :weightlifter:
    Thanks shades.

Turfpro-really appreciate all the helpful info there. You'r name fits perfectly. You are a turf pro. Do you tell your clients to check google if they ask why their yard is brown in august? :dizzy:
    If anyone else has anything that isn't a waste of time i'm sure we'ld love to hear it.
  7. TurfProSTL

No. I tell them why their lawns are brown. THEY don't ask me to prove myself with university data, either.....

Here you go Lazy-D, from TAMU:

Principle environmental factors affecting soil microbes
    • Organic carbon - grass clippings, crop residues, organic wastes, etc.
    • Moisture - 50-60% of water holding capacity
    • Aeration - balance of air and water filled pores
    • pH - near neutral (pH 6.0-8.0)
    • Temperature - 10 - 40oC
    • Inorganic nutrients - adequate N,P,K,S, etc., and trace metals

Interestingly, some soil bacteria (the anaerobes) do not even need air to grow and some are "poisoned" by exposure to oxygen. Generally, soil microbes grow best in soils of near neutral pH (7.0) having adequate supplies of inorganic nutrients (N and P, etc.), a balance of air- and water-filled pore space (about 50-60% of water holding capacity) and abundant organic substrates (carbon and energy sources). When any one of these parameter gets too far beyond the normal range some segment of the population will likely be stressed. For example, aerobic (oxygen requiring) bacteria will be at a disadvantage when a soil becomes waterlogged and available O2 is depleted through respiration of roots, microbes and soil animals. Conversely, anaerobic organisms may predominate leading to unique problems such as the formation of "black layer" caused, at least in part, by the anaerobic sulfate-reducing bacteria. Similarly, if soils become too acidic (down to pH 4 or 5) bacteria and actinomycetes usually decline and fungi assume a more dominant position. Except at cool and warm temperature extremes, the soil microbial population is usually not severely stressed. Most soil microbes grow best at temperatures between 15-30o Celsius (about 60 to 85oF) and their growth rates increase with increasing temperature up to a point. This is why it is harder to maintain soil organic matter in warm climates. Interestingly, some cold-loving microbes (called cryophiles) can actually grow and cause disease under blankets of snow cover. Such is the case with the so-called snow molds which can damage turfgrasses extensively during winter months. The opposite extreme is found in thermophilic microbes ("heat lovers") that thrive in composts reaching temperatures as high as 65o C (150o F). It is the biological heating of composts that actually reduces levels of pathogenic microbes, weed seeds and insects during the composting process.

Maybe next time you can try to be less of a jerk to people trying to answer your questions. :nono:
  8. Harley-D

Is this your version of trying to answer my question?:confused:

I really appreciate the info but i can't imagine that you expect me to be nice to you when this is your response. Here's to you.:hammerhead:

We're all just wasting each others time really.:sleeping: If you don't know or in your case don't want to post any info...DON'T! No one is going to beg you to tell them what you know. You either know or you don't. Even if you have the most perfect, useful info in the world...either post the info or just pass on by. Quit wasting good posters time with "check google".:nono: I assumed you didn't know jack so i sarcastically responded, get some thicker skin.:cry: Obviously i can check google but there are people on here that have really good info and personal experience with organics and their release time. Unfortunately, you are one of those people.
  9. TurfProSTL

This is the post that that I perceived as you being a jerk to ANOTHER poster who posted what he thought was an answer to your question. I saw it as you being arrogant and lazy and I called it as I saw it.....

Carry on
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the info Turf Pro