Temp labors any of you ever use them?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mowgli, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

How do you know if these guys that they( Labor Source) send out to work for me for a day or two are legal? If they are not, who's responsible? :confused: :confused:

2. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Never tried them and don't think I would because if there temps, I don't think they will really care about there quality of work. Well If you do use temps I would go down to there office (labor source) and ask to see there paperwork and get a background check just to cover yourself in case the people aren't legals.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A temp agency is the actual employer of the workers...they are responsible for payroll, insurance, workman's comp, etc. When you hire a temp it's like you're renting a worker for the day.

I'm not 100% positive but I don't see how you could get in any trouble...the agency has to verify work eligibility for any employee just like any other employer would.

4. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Totally not your responsibility. Other than that I have used temp worker services(labor ready) and have never received any worker that was worth the effort.

5. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

That what I was thinking. It should not be my responsibility.

As far as quality of work, I only need help w/ digging the holes or move the plants when i do landscaping.

Or, When I do big painting jobs, I just need help w/ moving Equipments, holding the ladder and clean up.
    I will not allow any of them running my machines.

6. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly. Temps have a place and it's usually being the gopher. They help by being available in a pinch and the temp agency does all the deductions etc... As we all know, maybe not all??, having workers is the only way a company will ever grow and make meaningful money, so temp agencies fill the times when you can't find someone in a hurry. Better be organized though cause the temp worker is not a great thinker usually...:rolleyes:

7. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I use them for flyers and snow, spring clean up but not for weekly maintenance.

Very expensive but most of them come to work.

8. hollywoodjoe

hollywoodjoe LawnSite Member

if you hire them they are like cockroaches they will take over your business and one day you will be working for them.Yes you can make a few extra bucks today but your kids will be out of work.Trust me come to los angeles and see what happened to good paying labor here.They have broken all the unions and hard working single opperators.If you let them in you will be cutting lawns for 6 bucks an hour.

9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Used them many times.

Always got my money's worth: digging holes, moving soil, etc..

Someone implied you get what you pay for.

Yes - I paid for them, and I got work. That's what I paid for.

I just limit them to laborer type tasks. It's amazing how much they get done sometimes.

Its partly a matter of finding the temp service with workers who know how to work.

I remember one guy that worked too hard and fast. Had to slow him down so he wouldn't break something by accident.

Out of about 50 different guys I tried, I think there were 2 that I didn't care for personality or mentality-wise.

25% of those workers practically live on the street. At least they dressed for work right most times: jeans, boots and gloves.

10. hollywoodjoe

hollywoodjoe LawnSite Member

companies who hire illegals should be proscecuted and their business seized.You save a few dollars today and your children will be slaves for them.