Temp or part-time employees?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Feb 27, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I need to hire someone to work for me. I am looking at part-time because I feel I can get a college student or someone like that at part-time. Someone that doesn't need insurance, and all the other bs. Currently a part-time employee would be more beneficial to my company anyway.

So should I use a temp agency or hire outright?

I called around to temp agency's and they want about 13.25 for an $8.00 an hour employee.

Does anyone know the cost of an actual employee?

I know nothing about hiring, nor payroll, nor the process. If I hired someone I would be looking into finding a payroll company.

2. drsogr

bump bump bump

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My accountant told me last week I could have someone as subcontract labor (1099). They would only work maybe 4-5 days a month and most of the time they would be on their own (no direct supervision by me).

4. drsogr

I already have a situation like that with all of my sod help. And yes I do follow all of the IRS regulations. But I need an actual employee for 25-35 hours a week.

5. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

You better double check that. Unless they are going to do your jobs with there own equipment, they are not subcontracted. I hear lots of people trying to do this and from my understanding you should have them on the books as your employee.

Jason

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Another reason why accountants arent all they are cracked up to be in some cases.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmm. Good question for me there. I will have to check on that.:confused:

8. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Drsogr, what does the 13.25 cover? taxes, insurence? I am in a similar situation. My best guy called tonight said his work switched him to a graveyard shift, so he will not be helping. We were supposed to start this week. not now. Can you run an ad through the employment office? I know its a bit of a gamble isn't it. I am desperate enough to call a temp agency myself
    but was not sure what that fee covered thats why I ask. Anyway, hope you are able to find someone good. Jeff

9. KC Hartman

KC Hartman LawnSite Member

My Wife actually does sales for a temp agency, and I occasionally do some work for them myself. (Haven't started business yet). When I get to the point that I need someone, I will be using a temp agency. Here are some of the benefits:

1. Drug test employee for you
    2. Background check employee
    3. Reference check Employee
    4. Payroll employee
    5. Pay all taxes for employee
    6. Pay State Industrial Insurance for employee (big one here!)
    7. When you are done with employee, they "let" the employees go, not you.
    8. If you want to "hire" employee permanent, they can sale you the "contract"

All the above and more (or less) are included in your bill rate.

Now my wife works for Express Personnel, so your employment agency "may not" do all these things, but Express Personnel does, and I am sure others do also. Ask the if they provide all or some of the "services" I mentioned above. There are other benefits for the employee as well. And if you want to give them a "raise" the employment agency does that also for you, as long as you pay the difference.

Overall it is a great way to get a temp employee, but your mileage may differ! And the end of the year you get the tax deductions for using the service. (Check with your cpa).

:walking:

10. drsogr

KC is correct. Temp services do everything...that is why they are so popular. I would like to know from someone who does have an employee what the actual cost of an employee is. Does anyone have any numbers?