Templates for websites

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Turf Troll, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

(A) What would you want in a template for a landscaping site. (A)

(B) What would you want in a template for a Mowing/grass cutting site. (B)

I am talking to a designer to make two templates for A & B and I am going to pass the info over to him and see what he comes up with, if anyone wants one they will be available for download - no charge when completed.

Thanks

2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you considered 2 templates?

Personally, I enjoy tinkering on my site almost daily - maybe every other day.

I don't know Flash yet, but if I had to start all over again, I'd have a snappy flash template, for my:

Home page
    Services page
    Contact page
    Introduction to advice page

Then I'd use a nice HTML template for my advice pages that I could modify at my leisure. I could have the Flash template and HTML one, and pay a designer to tweak the Flash one, probably for $1000.

So basically, both. And if I could only have one, either style is fine.

Even with the good rankings I'm getting now, I may still go with a flash website for the main pages in the next year or two. I think they look cool - so why not.

The average landscape site won't get too much business from search engines these days, so if they put their address in their advertising properly, the flash won't hurt.

3. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

Hey Mario,

These both will be HTML.

I don't understand . I suppose it also depends on how much work your looking for, I think it is percentages, the more populace the area the more folks who are looking for services, it does follow the seasons, more calls than I can give estimates for in the spring, slows down till a couple of calls a week in august, then September the phone starts ringing consistently through October, but nowhere near the calls in spring.
    It is probably the lowest cost advertising.

4. mdvaden

A nice photo is a given... but I'll add that I like sites which show a person too, if possible, whether an extra thumbnail, or just seeing them doing something. Like in motion mowing, or raking bark, or standing by someone else posing as a customer where two people are discussing something in a nice yard.

Also, wherever the menu goes - so that it can accomodate another button or two someday if needed.

Personally, I don't like "specials" posted on websites - mine or others. But that's just me.

5. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

I tried the "specials" on the web page, didn't work out too well. No one took advantage of it!

On the other hand, this being my first year with a website...I have received close to $75K in new business due to the website. This is business I would not have had otherwise. I don't understand your hang-up with websites...maybe yours has flattened out? Maybe we just have entirely different markets...

As T/T stated above, it is a very cheap form of advertizing! It never gets thrown away. If you have a good name in the community and someone comes across your webpage on the search engines, you WILL get a phone call or email. This has proven to be fact with me this season.

6. mdvaden

I don't know if I'd call 450 visitors per day and 900 page views flattened out. That's double last summer.

Google's paying me $100 a month - plus - for their ads.

I get business in all corners of Oregon, and 3 other companies get referral work from my site. So it's producing work for 4 companies, and income for 5 if you include Google. More if you include whoever pays for Google's ads.