temporary help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by captaingreen, Mar 8, 2004.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

This is my second year in business and as I am growing I am getting to the point of needing more help. I saw a post on another thread where a member suggested using the help of a temporary agency. I called a local temp. agency and here is what they had to say. If I pay one of their 'employees' $7.00 an hour they will bill me at $12.91 an hour which includes workman's comp., unemployment ins., all their taxes, soc. sec., and other junk I don't want to mess with paying. They said if I am not happy with an employee they will provide another with no additional cost or penalty, I just tell the agency all the details. The only disadvantage I can see is I could go through quite a few only to lose a good one in the winter, but doesn't that happen anyway. I would just like some opinions on this or experience if anyone has went this route before. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

2. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

we are gonna try it this year we have worked with contractors who had them before some good some bad im tired of paying under the table eating some ones taxes and hope they dont get hurt

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Sounds fair to me. I think I'll check it out around here.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Who would try to get a temporary job that pays less than a permenant one? Sounds like a good pool of employees to pick from. And if this is a pay today, work today place, turn and run.

5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

we've had nothing but bad luck from temp agencies. nothing but a bunch of lazy sob's who can't get a real job. i would rather use a labor pool. i have wished many times there was one nearby.

6. Mike@Haines

Mike@Haines LawnSite Member

One thing guys do around here is hire "contract workers." Set them up with a business license and pay them whatever pay is agreed (some do commission to avoid laziness). The agreement is that the contractor will pay their income taxes, but the worker's responsible for everything else. Can't comment on how consistantly good the workers are, though.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

8. Buddy Markley

Buddy Markley LawnSite Member

You cannot find anyone? First if you paying or a part timer then you should not have any unemployment taxes they will not make enough. Workers comp is not to bad, double check with your state. Here the risk factor is just over %5 of their gross and then you pay %80 of that. So if your part timer make $2000. for the year then you will just over $85 per year.

And then even in some states (check with yours) you may be able to hire a part timer as a sub contractor and avoid those charges.

As far as doing payroll we use an outside company from Florida and it cost us around $12 per paycheck extra/ per person.

Paydays are every two weeks here..

9. missytheaccountant

missytheaccountant LawnSite Member
    from Bama

Temporary agencies really are becoming a big option in business. People are using them more and more.....the biggest advantage is not having to issue payroll checks and filling the quarterly and annual forms. Another thing people don't think about is that when leasing another person's employee.....if your state has unemployment then changing employees regularly won't affect your rating. Also, you can usually get better workers comp rates through leasing companies because they get volume discounts.

10. codywyomingus

codywyomingus LawnSite Member

The labor "shortage" is only a problem for those who refuse to pay a decent wage for a experianced ,dedicated,dependable,hard working laborer!!