Temporary irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by carcrz, Jun 23, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Any of you guys ever set up some sort of temporary / portable system for your customers? I was thinking about setting up something w/ a timer/valve w/ maybe 4 or 6 outputs that I can leave for a week or so after doing a lawn renovation. I would only be leaving it in trustworthy areas though. My reason for even thinking about doing this is because it either rains a whole lot or it is almost completely dry - no in between & customers don't always understand that they need to water a lot for the seed to germinate.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A front yard? The equipment would walk away, and no question about it.

3. carcrz

It'll be alright in the areas I'd leave them in. I will probably be hooking it up in the back & then route some hoses to the front so the setup can't be seen.

4. Wet_Boots

Who gets the financial responsibility for lost equipment? Try to assume the worst. Then work out the logistics.

5. carcrz

I will accept the consequences if it does happen. I haven't had any material or equipment stolen from customers homes in the last 7 years (knock on wood). I won't even consider using it in questionable areas. I am going to be using this in our "hidden" communities & lake communities. Everybody is watching at all times & their neighbors know who isn't supposed to be there & confronts you if something doesn't look right. They get in your face too when you aren't familiar. I like that, except when it's me they're interrogating.

I figure I can cover most of my in-town lawns w/ 2 heads in the front & 4 in the back. I could do it w/ less since it is only temporary. I will be figuring it into their cost for the extra equipment, but I mainly want to do this to gauruntee that the lawn is started & then it's their problem from there. A lot of them are older & can't water it constantly like it needs in the beginning.

6. Wet_Boots

If I did have to come up with something, it might use those double-connection hose spikes with a low-gallonage rotor, with 25-foot hoses connecting them. More sprinklers, rather than less, would be how it would work, because the water supply from a faucet is bound to be small, and the pressure losses in hoses is large.

7. simonkodousek

simonkodousek LawnSite Member

There are companies that do this, and they are very successful. One that I know of (don't know the name) installs an above ground irrigation system, just like one that would go below ground, then takes it away when the grass is finished. :)