1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

temporary portable valve box

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rubiconlawn, Sep 12, 2007.

1. rubiconlawn

rubiconlawn LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Hello, not a regular here, but I did do a search for "temporary valve box" and got no matches, so flame me till I am a roasted piece of meat but I tried.

Now that that's out of the way, any suggestions, I looked at Pelican but way too pricy, I thought you guys might have something in mind to help me out.

I'm looking to mount six 1" valves with a manifold in the box, no controller. This is for a hydroseeding application, moving it every 4-6 weeks. It will stay above ground.

2. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

3. rubiconlawn

from Indiana

Thanks, but....

the lawn camel was one option I had already come across, i was thinking more of building my own manifold (3/4" pvc) then using SRC-600i - 6 station indoor controller and Hunter PGV-100-JTG 1" Valves. Of course, I seriously don't know squat about irrigation, this is not permanent, and it is for my use on lawns I hydroseed.

I am open to other suggestions, maybe the lawn camel is good, but it looks like orbit controllers I see on ebay and I thought the hunter would be higher quality/better reliability. If you are still reading I would like more guidance.

Thanks again,

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have in the past done similar setups for new sod without irrigation.

we use a battery operated 4 station hunter valve (no need for 110v).

we used a small plastic tool box and ran the pvc outputs through the front side, and the inlet through the side. the timer was mounted on the underside of the top.

we used female thread on the output so we could screw on the zone lines.
  5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i have a real cool solar powered setup we use on some jobs for temp stuff. its a toro clock w/ batt and solar cell. got it when many of the new development entrances i do would have a full system put in but for reasons unknown to me might not have power to the perm clock for oh another couple of months, so i install everything, and set this baby up for a while, grass and plants stay happy so does the customer. but I've made temp systems out of it too
  6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I'm talking about..

Decent product can be reused and in the long run save time and $$.

There is a company out here that does above ground installs for sod/hydro seed jobs...but they don't BS product..
  7. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

I have built a few systems for this application. I plumbed up a manifold with a garden hose input on it. It has six valves bushed down to 3/4 garden hose threads. I mounted an outdoor timer to the board, and wired it up to plug into an outside power outlet. Most new houses around here have a outside spigot and an outlet not too far from each other. I just screw it on a faucet, plug it in and run garden hoses to impact or gear driven walmart sprinklers. Some times you have to add a filter. I leave it for 3 or4 weeks then go back and get it. Helps take the worry out of a hydroseeding job.
  8. rubiconlawn

from Indiana

Call me a hack if you like, I will learn from people, from this forum and from my mistakes.

I think some of these ideas are exactly what I've been looking for.

My post about "orbit" mentioned I was looking for something more reliable, and the fact that I didn't know squat about irrigation.

Thanks to all for your thoughts, hope I can help you in some way in the future.

9. Well let us know what you did.