Tempted to use doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Jul 9, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I really want to try out doubles but i wan't to know what you guys think. Do you think a spindle will go cause I only have a 14hp Kaw on a 52" Scag hydro? what if I use like 3" standard high lifts on the bottom and then regular mulchers on the top?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You'll be ok to try them. Heck many people have been using them for years.

3. KDLAWN

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

I have a 36" scag 14HP kawasaki that I put doubles on about two months ago and it is doing fine for now . Not sure what the long term affect is though... From what I have read if you half throttle before engauging blades then go to full throttle it should be ok.

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, throttle down before engaging the blades. You basiclly double the mass that the engine has to turn from a dead stop. JD

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

let the engine warm. engage as slow as
    will work . . disengage at a low rpm.
    mine makes more air noise but it really does run smoother with doubles.there really is a bit of a difference that u just have to learn about.if that 14 hp w 52 cut is pulling u to . u may not have the rite combo for doubles. but u can give it a try.

6. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

what is the benefit of doubleing the blades? I'm new so please explain.

7. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed you live in ohio. The reason I say this is because the grass is barely growing in Ohio right now and doubles probably wont make that big of a difference right now. You can try them , but you really notice a difference in the spring time when the grass is really taking off.

Lasher

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

When you really notice the difference is when you take them off. The clippings are long and clumpy. Doubles will powder long grass its great.

Mark

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if u are in drought u might consider
    backing off the doubles now,as mine was blowing the top soil , way too much.
    that gives u an idea what we are looking at in stanley county.

10. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly,
    I took off my doubles because we have not had any rain in weeks and I was just creating huge dust clouds on every yard. I will probably put them back on in the fall though. Hope we get some rain.

Lasher