Tenacity and POA Triv (rough stalk bluegrass)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RRHAMMONS, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

4 dat and seeing browning from crown out. Quick visual from street or further than 8' will not show signs. From closer inspection, definitive damage to select weed species is evident. Slight damage to younger fescue and fine leaf fescues. Not sure of recovery on these yet. Very pleased with results so far. It will be interesting to see different weed species handled and under what conditions during the summer.

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

3. MyPoorLawn

MyPoorLawn LawnSite Member

Well... I found out WHERE my poa Aand poa T came from

John deere landscapes, park and athletic blend.
    I overseeded 3 lawns with it all different locations all 3 lawns are loaded. i still have some of the seed left. Now what to do ? Call JDL Corporate? Do they hold any responsibility? does the weed seed % ( even though it dont say poa ) cover them ? I find it a hell of a thing that the mgr of my JDL location tells me i have to kill it all with roundup and start over because of a product they sold me What do you guys think ?

4. JoJo1990

JoJo1990 LawnSite Member

UNL and the University of Illinois did some good research and they found that Tenacity applied at .05 pounds of ai, three times a week for 10 weeks provided nearly 98% control of Poa annua. This is obviously not an option for the majority of residential lawns for the sheer amount of applications but as long as you follow the label for total amount of ai applied...it's something to consider.

5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Poa triv is in some seed blends on purpose.

6. RRHAMMONS

RRHAMMONS LawnSite Member

Now that I think about, I orginally never had any PT in my lawn (4 years old) which was sewn in Falcon II Fescue until I overseeded with Lesco Trigold seed. The year following the overseed is when I finally figure out that I had PT. I at first though my problem was brown patch and it was brown patch in the PT. But before I knew it was brown patch, I used a fungicide which only helped the PT survive the disease and the next year it was double the previously year. I am in hopes to reduce the PT and keep at bay with tenacity. We will see how it goes, three rounds two weeks apart at 5 oz/A.

7. 71ragtopgoat

71ragtopgoat LawnSite Member

I to got a bumper crop of poa after over seeding with a lesco seed.
    I'm going to try and spot treat it with tenacity.There are a bunch of spots so I'll be busy.

8. MyPoorLawn

9. RRHAMMONS

RRHAMMONS LawnSite Member

Update. One week since second application, PT is starting to turn brown instead of just white from the tenacity. It appears to be killing the PT ! One more app to go next weekend and I will start posting the results and some pics.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. MyPoorLawn

Brown from ? what did you apply ?