Tencacity is approved, kind of!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FdLLawnMan, Feb 9, 2008.

1. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

There was some discussion earlier about a new product from Syngenta called Tenacity. You can apply it during seeding of most cool season grasses and it will control a wide spectrum of weeds. For now it is only approved for sod farms and athletic field grow ins. It is not approved for residential use. Syngenta doesn't know if they want to spend a million dollars to get it approved by the EPA.
    I attended a turf seminar yesterday and the professor from the University of Wisconsin said he received the email reporting the label just received certification several days ago.
    Rodney, I know you had plans to use a quite a bit of this but it looks like it will be a no go for now, at least on the residential lawns.
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Unfortunatly that is what I heard a few weeks ago on here! At the OTF they were very hopeful! Dang it!

Since we are "growing sod" on my customers.....and they have livestock (cats and dogs), would that be considered a "sod farm"? :laugh:
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Only if my customers who have golf greens in their backyard count as athletic fields :laugh:
  4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

What is the difference bewteen Tupersan (siduron) and Tenacity? Does it control more weeds, more effective or cheaper?
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

IMO and many others, this will be the biggest product to hit the market! Broad spectrum of weed control and it can be used prior, during and after seeding with good seedling safety.

I am not familiar with Siduron (have heard of it, but have not used it)....but Tenacity is a newer chemistry (I have used in the ag market for about three years).

Mesotrione is the AI and it has both pre and post activity on most grasses and broadleaves. It's only drawback is on clover...but nothing a little Dicamba won't take care of!

VERY awesome product, but since it is a pigment inhibitor it turns the plants (weeds) WHITE! So one will want to educate the customer before using the product.

Other then that the product will be perfect for turf!

I am thinking about a way to spray a lawn and just call it an "off target application" or "drift".

I guess I would get in trouble for that also :cry:......so I will keep thinking! Way to good of a product to keep in the jug this year!
  6. Whitey4

Oh, OK, sounds like it can control more weed types than Tupersan. Is it a WP?
  7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Rcreech. What is the ag side of Tenacity.
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The ag side of Mesotrion is Callisto.

We put it down as a pre or early post on corn.

I actually use it as a premix which is called Lexar, which is basically Bicep II with Callisto added.

9. Whitey4

They call it a post emerge, Rodney. The Tupersan is clearly and striclty a pre emerge. Sounds like this stuff will knock down weeds as they come up, not a root inhibitor. I wonder how well a Tupersan/Tenacity combo would work on springtime lawn replantings from seed. I won't do a total renovation from seed in the spring, I prefer the fall, but that combo could work extremely well in the spring I would think.

The problem with Tupersan is it's got a pretty narrow taget list... pretty much crabgrass and barnayrd grass... no dandelion, goosegrass, plaintain or chickweed control. I guess neither works on clover. Spring renovations from seed in the spring... man, that would be sweet.
  10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You say "they" call it a post emerg, but you may want to look at this product a little closer.

It is a pre and post product. It will actually work as a PRE for crabgrass and many other weeds in turf.

Here is the info on Callisto which is the product for corn:

Read the first sentence and you will see it is a pre and post!