Tennessee no license required for a hobby

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fulano, May 17, 2006.

1. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

If I make less than $3000 a year I do not need a business license where I am. I guess I am safe with 5 yards cutting twice a month. $49.99/cut x once a fortnight x 6 months x 5 yards = $2999.40/yr.:usflag:

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ok so a license isnt required.... here if you make less the 5000 a year you dont have to collect sales tax..
    but agian i dont get it..

why bother.... you should be able to make 3000 easliy in two months, as a part time cutter.... or even every two weeks with some effort.....what type of growth are you antisipating through a business plan....what type of company goals do you have, how much is a license, bet its under a hundred bucks...:dizzy:

3. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on mowing a few yards a couple of times per month for now. The business license period starts July1st. So I can gross $2999.99 from now till then and still don't need a license.
    My business plan is to under cut several different lawn companies in my subdivision and cut grass within 1/4 mile of my house whenever I have spare time.

4. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

5. daveintoledo

to undercut the competition, to lowball, to reduce the value of a perceived service , helping to bring down the entire lawn care industry, to be part of the problem .....

is that really your plan.....maybe you should do a search on that word, and spend a few days reading why the lowballers always go out of business,.... it doesnt work...

how about selling a quality product at a price that is inline with market value :hammerhead:

6. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Enjoy doing business......because you won't be around for long!

7. daveintoledo

so next year when you quit your hobby for something else, and your customers have to call a real lco to get the work done, they cant understand why you used to charge 15 dollars, and the lco is asking for 35, so he can feed his family and pay the bills.... but so that you can have a hobby, you are going to help reduce the pay of the industry in your area...GREAT IDEA

8. CBramble

CBramble LawnSite Member

Dave you missed his other posts about his "plan". Do a search and you should find it easily. This guy is a real winner.....:rolleyes:

9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's some business plan you got there, dude.:dizzy: How are you going to "undercut several different lawn companies in my subdivision" when you only plan on cutting five lawns twice a month? I'm going to say this in simple words and short sentences so that even you can understand it. Most real lawn care operators (meaning guys different than you) mow more than five lawns. Probably more like 50 or 60. They also mow them more than twice a month. Most people like to have their grass cut before it gets to be 10 inches tall. That is why once a week or so is the general rule. People also like to have it cut on a somewhat regular basis, not "whenever you have spare time". I guess the upside to this is that the real LCOs in your area have nothing to worry about, and somebody will get a good deal on your mowers when you find a new "hobby".

10. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Tell ya what...maybe being an LCO just isnt for you, find a different hobby - underwater basket weaving, finger painting, macoroni sculptures, collecting buttons, needle point etc...*no license required for doing these activities either (well...maybe in Tennessee)*...;)

...meanwhile, the rest of us will carry on being LCO's, ya know, when we have spare time.

James