Tennis anyone?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GreenMonster, Mar 1, 2007.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

As part of a good size project, I'm looking at potentially installing a tennis court. Now, I've done absolutely no research to this point, but give me your input if you got it.

What I need to know, is the base preparation part of it. The final coat is going to be asphalt. I would think the base prep might be similar to paver preparation, but not sure.

Any input is appreciated.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If the playing surface is going to be asphalt, then the base prep should be relatively similiar to base for pavers. I can't say for sure how much of what you need.

A search on the web should turn something up, also a call to whoever you will be subbing for the paving would be good to see what their expectations are. It might be cost effective to sub them to do the entire process, excavation included, since that's probably what they do all the time.

I do know, however, that you DO NOT want to be involved with maintaining a clay tennis court. They are a MAJOR PITA, especially if you've never done it before.

3. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

Ive done a few, the toughest one was a hydro grid clay court,it required 95%density of underlayment .IE 10 ton min vibratory roller.if you have a wet clay base and spring deadline be careful.If its asphalt i would prep the same but make sure you're base is very solid,we all know you're good though,just get you're laser beep beep out!:laugh:

4. GreenMonster

from NH

what are we talking about for depth? 8-10"?

what about pitch?

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Mark - I would not pitch the court at all. Believe it or not, in HS I was ranked 2nd in the state in tennis.:dancing: That being said, it is very important to have a level surface. Players do not want wierd bounces caused by pitches or ruts. I think 6"-8" would be sufficient. After all, it's not a vehicular app. Definately sub out if you can get away w/ it.

Chris

6. GreenMonster

from NH

No, I don't believe it. What was your ranking for posting pics of things you said you would?:hammerhead:

I though level might be the spec, but I wasn't sure.

I hate subbing out.

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would tink a strong 6" base would work well compacted like you would for pavers. I never heard anyone driving a car on a tennis court.
    Mike

8. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Now thats funny:laugh:

9. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

As for pitch you're talking 1.3 to 1.7 seven,i was surprised, this is a sheet grade not convex from the middle, also tennis people hate heaving and bumps,so depending on site soil conditions and client preference you're base could be 3 feet deep,the courts i have done have been specked by the tennis peoples engineer, but you guys up north have even harder frost than us,so again site condition and ,any well built court needs perimeter drainage.

10. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

How cool would a paver tennis court be.

Make all the lines with a different color paver. That would be awsome.

Or would the pavers texture mess up the accuracy of the ball?