"tennis elbow""?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 23, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

got this bad azz pain in my elbow, just came out of nowhere. the grips on my walkbehind are very tight, i do that on purpose to work my forearms while mowing. my friend said this is what caused the pain in my elbow. he says its called "tennis elbow". anybody use a walkbehind and have this problem?

2. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. Use a T-Bar.

3. BBS

BBS LawnSite Member

Yeah...it's going to hurt for awhile but if you fight thru the pain and keep doing what you're doing,your arm will adjust and the pain will go away... Had it happen myself in a few different activities,walkbehind being one of them

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had a back case of tennis elbow last summer. Lasted for 2 months. The worst was trying to fall asleep at night, completely impossible. Finally, the only way I solved the probelm completely is that I took 1 1/2 weeks off from being out in the field.

5. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

The quickest way of course is to take it easy for a couple of weeks. But if you can't do this then go to your local sports shop and get you a "tennis elbow" brace for your forearm. They are cheap. It's just a band that constricts with Velcro around your forearm just below the elbow. It restricts the use of some of the muscles that are attached to your elbow and helps you to "heal" if you have to work through the condition.

It worked for me. Been there done that. Good luck. :D

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's easy to get, it seems,.. and more work seems to just keep it enflamed. I've had it once in awhile, but I think it's more to do with weightlifting, for me. I HAVE had some trouble with my shoulder lately, though. My left shouder, right in the center, all along the outside really aches at times, and I really feel it when I get up in the mornings after sleeping on it.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Cortisone shot, Feel better in a day, had it done a few times.

Runner, if shoulder keeps hurting you could have torn rotator cuff. Just had the surgery it take 6 months to a yr. to get that all healed up. Avoid surgery ask dr. for therepy but don't keep trying to work through pain thats what cuased me the surgery.

Mac

8. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

Very good advise. Make sure it really IS tennis elbow you are dealing with first. If it is then it's actually a minor, but painful and temporary condition. I've had it 20 times I bet and the prescription has always been rest and Advil :)

9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I pulled a muscle in the shower this morning.................................97 times :D

10. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I get mine from using string line trimmers to edge with, the angle in which I hold the trimmer put the stress on. at time it is difficult to grab a glass of water.