tension idler question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by timmac, Jul 20, 2007.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed at times when I engage or disengage my blades that the belt is almost slipping off of the spindle belt tension idler. It is riding on the bottom side of the spindle tension idler and I have to move it back up so it is riding in the correct position. What can I do to correct this? More tension or less tension on the tension spring? thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

What model mower and how many hours are on it?
    The belt tension may need to be adjusted.
    I would start with that.
    Check the bearing in the idler also.

Pj

3. timmac

it is an 05 super z. it has about 275 hours on it. what should the tension be? how do I check the bearing?

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The tension spring should be stretched 9 inches when properly tensioned.
    Your belt I am sure has stretched in the 275 hours on it.
    Here is a link to the owners manual for your mower.

http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/Manual/manuals pdfs/Owners Manuals/375527_0406.pdf

See pages 5-4 and 5-5 this details the spring tension adjustment and shows a picture also.
    To check your bearings in the idlers just take the tension off the deck belt and grab the pulleys and see if they have any play in the bearing / mounting boss area.

Pj

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

These mowers aren't designed to cut at full height (transport) and doing so will cause the belts to run on the edges of the idlers. My SuperZ rubs the hydro pump belt idler when raised all the way up.

These mowers are designed to mow @ less than 3" HOC for parallel belt routing.

Unless it's shredding the belt, your likely OK.

I've had to tighten my idler several links so far.

6. timmac

i have probably been engaging my mower at the transport level. maybe this is my problem.