terex excavators

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by grassmanvt, Apr 5, 2005.

1. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Withhout this turning into a "chevy/ford" debate, what do you think about the terex excavators?Anybody out there have one or demoed one, how is the parts availabiltiy/network? I have a dealer close by and obviously he swears by them. but I'd like a few user opinions from people that have put a few hours on them. Thanks.

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have put several hours on a Bobcat 442 which is the same as a Terex in its respective model number. I spent very little tme on an HR16 Initial impressions on the HR16 was that they are a little crude (maybe utilitiarian is a better word) even by Japanese standards. I thought the 442 was overpriced and unpowered. The cab was very nice. I wasn't real impressed with the hydrualic pilot controls. I believe that the Terex machines are made by Schaeff in Europe. These are my limited experiences with these machines.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Hey kaiser, interesting you thought the 442 was underpowered. Ah well. But yes, there is something going on with Schaeff and Terex, just as there was something with Schaeff and NH mini excavators. Not too sure how Schaeff managed to get models to NH and Terex, then be able to give Bobcat the 442. Whatever works.

As far as the larger machines go, well, they're just rebranded Daewoo machines. I haven't seen many Daewoo machines out here at all; Hyundai machines (also from Daewoo's Korea) have had some good followings, but I wouldn't be *too* concerned for parts. Terex is right back into the huge "get into every business" idea, but they shouldn't be stretched too thin yet. I would ask some customers of the dealer who have switched over, preferably, and see what they think.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Now that we're on the subject of branded machines, who's building the new Ingersoll excavators? Is Ingersoll not affiliated with Bobcat anymore?

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps I should clarify the statment. The tractive effort was fine. The machine has an overload alarm in the cab which activates when pushing the machine too hard by lifting or digging more than it thinks it should. It also had a cheesy lift type gauge that showed how hard your were pushing the digging/lifting capacity of the machine. I say cheesy because it was very gimicky to me. The alarm and the gauge are tied together. I was floored by the cost of the machine. The price from the Terex dealer was 15K cheaper than the Bobcat machine. However, you would be proud. While at CONEXPO, I picked up the Bobcat CD.

6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Haha, very nice... (I wasn't doubting your claim, btw. I guess I expected more from the excavator.)

Scag -- IR and Bobcat are still together, yes. The larger IR machines are made by Schaeff (as IR purchased rights to those machines, I believe). The small wheel loaders to come out by IR are also Schaeff machines.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Ah, I see. I knew those IR machines looked familiar, I was going to guess Schaeff but wasn't quite sure. Thanks for the info!

8. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I have a New Holland EC35 which Was made by Schaeff. It is a well built machine but nothing fancy. It is a little under powered but it is tough digging around here. I added a thumb and have been very happy with the machine.

John

9. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Well, got to try a aquintances' terex hr16 yesterday.Didn't really do anything with it but "went through the motions" anyway. Actually seems like a well thought out, decent built machine with some standard features(manual quick coupler, plumbed, pattern changer) that are options with some of the competition. On the down side, the house swing seemed a bit slow, similar to a 331 bobcat I had. I had a couple hitachi's that so far have been the fastest machine's I have run, guess it spoiled me.Still would like to hear more from you guys who have put a few hundred hours on a terex, or shaeff.Thanks for the replies so far.