Terex Tractor Loader/Backhoe

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Ursushorribilus, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

I passed a Terex dealership today and checked out the TX-760 and TX-860. Awesome looking machines! I looked up a few specs, they're heavy, almost 16,000 lbs each, with 80 and 90 hp respectively. They lift a bunch of weight and dig some deep holes. Pretty pricey too, I noticed. Comments and critiques from those of you who've used and/or know of this equipment?

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Terex has been in business for years. They still make one of the best scrapers on the market. I have many fond memories bouncing along in my uncles machines when he built golf courses, two 871 Detroits belching smoke and whining away all day long.
    I have seen thier tractors out working, and, if they are as well made as thier scrapers, they should be a good unit. Fermec makes a great tractor as well.

For a production tractor, .I am a pretty devout Ford person. Nothing made will out work out last, or out perform a 545D 4x4 for landscape proceedures. I am not sure what the HN equivelant is for the 545, but, that is what I would run with. We used to run a 36" Hawk bucket and could plant 200 street trees a day with a 3 man crew, two 6 wheelers and a skid steer operator running back fill.

3. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

Terex bought out Fermac which is the original Massey Ferguson construction group.. When running the town highway dpt and looking in 97, I tried Cat 436, Case 590, JCB 217, JD 410 and the Fermac 860.. For repair, or general maintenance, the Fermac, now Terex, is light years ahead of the others., For instance, on their extenda hoe design, you replace tephlon blocks twice a year instead of greasing daily.. Tough machine, well designed, and will go a long ways.. What do you consider pricey? They are cheaper than the others mentioned above, at least in the New England area

4. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

The TX-760 was about $44,000 and the TX-860 about $50,000. A few more questions: Can you get more attachments for these units other that the loader and backhoe that come with them, i.e. posthole digger? Is HST transmission an option for them? Are these units too big for light landscaping, being around 16,000 lbs?

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, I'm surprised that they are that cheap for that size of machine. That's more the price range of the JD110, which is nowhere near 80 hp or 16,000 lbs. That size places it solidly in the construction machine class, like the Case 580 and others like it. It may be kind of overkill for light landscaping, although not many complain about too much power or capacity. For transporting a rig like that you need a good size truck and trailer, 16,000 lbs. of machine is well into the class A CDL range and well beyond pickup capabilities. If I had the bucks for a landscaping TLB, I would look real hard at the Kubota L35 or if I needed a little more mojo a Kubota L48 or JD110.

6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Terex backhoes are cheaper than the rest. For now, their resale value is still quite low. I don't think you'll have any problems with them.