1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Termite control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Branchland, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

What is good to use to get rid of termites? And to keep them away? I've never had any problem before but was on the patio the other night and they was swarming around. I'm guessing that's what they were. My friends that were over thought so too. Looked like ants with wings. Any help with this?
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Termador is good, also Talstar is labled for termites. But I would stay away from the bait systems. check and see how many body parts the they have, if its 3 they are flying ants but if there are 2 body they are termites!
  3. bugthug

bugthug LawnSite Member
    from PA

First identify the problem . Identify what it it is and then go from there.
  4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If they looked like ants with wings then they were probably ant reproductives. Termites are generally white or tan, carpenter ants are big black ants. They are pretty distinctive looking. Terminix has a good indoor pest id page on their website. I would capture some and take them to my ag extension service. And the best way to get rid of them is to hire a pro. I would not mess around trying to do it myself. You might not be able to buy the chemicals necessary to treat them withouit the proper licensing anyway.
    Do an inspection of your house. Look in the cracks and crevices for ant frass. It looks sorta like pencil sharpener shavings, but will likely have insect parts mixed in. Look for the ants themselves. They will go for water damaged wood first. It makes for easy digging and provides them with moisture too. Termites are subtertanean, so they will build mud tubes to get to wood. They prefer water damaged wood too. Look for tubes of mud along your foundation base, or they will sometimes build them straight up out of the ground underneath a building.
    They can do an amazing amount of damage in a short time, so find them sooner than later. That leaky faucet you have been putting off fixing might be doing more damage than you thought.
  5. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

Okay, first let me say that I am a Certified Pest Control Operator that specializes in subterranean termite control, with 17 years experience. If the termites are swarming, the colony is several years old, and has sufficient food and water to sustain a swarm. Second, subterranean termites forage for their food underground for hundreds of yards. So,it would be wise to have an inspection by a reputable local company. They are free, and will give you a professional opinion and evaluation. Talstar, although labeled for termites, is a pyrithroid, a repellent, and not recommended by most states. Reason, termites detect the repellent, and go around it. Temidor, is in my opinion, and experience, after treating THOUSANDS of homes with it, the best. But, it is not a magic bullet. You must have the correct equipment, and tools, and more importantly, knowledge, to apply it correctly. You cannot simply put it anywhere and expect it to work. You investment will be better protected by using a professional who has been properly trained.
    In addition, termite have THREE body segments, they are insects, so by definition, three body segments. The head and abdomen have a distinct separation, where the abdomen and thorax have less of a definition of separation. Subterranean termites have two pair of equal length wings (order Isoptera= Latin for equal wings), the wings will have two or more dark longitudinal veins.
    I state this because there is too much disinformation out there helping people make poorly informed decisions. You can contact a local professional using this site, or any other. www.ipconetwork.org.
    If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. We insure companies throughout the United States, and would be happy to assist you in any aspect of protecting your home.

I step down from the soap box.....
  6. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

We recently bought a house that has a slab foundation. It is 5 years old. We had a termite inspection prior to purchase and it came back A-OK. Do you recommend that we hire a professional for a termite contract? Or is there something we can do ourselves?

7. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

I've been providing structural pest control for 12 years- when it comes to termites, carpenter ants, wood boring beetles at the very least call a professional to come out and look at it. These pests cause structural damage to your home so my advise would be to make sure that it is treated right. Professionals have the tools, knowledge, and hopefully the experience to tackel these types of problems. If I had to go into Home Depot and use solely what was on their shelves for chemicals and tools it would be a nightmare. Even if you have access to the chemicals and tools you need, you still need to know how to use them correctly for your situation.
  8. Chris@CRU

It is recommended by all professional organizations and most states to have your home inspected annually. There are companies that provide free inspections. My personal and professional recommendation is to have a reputable company that has a damage repair bond, treat your home with Termidor. Read their bond coverage in the contract. Make certain is covers all subterranean termites and resulting damage from re-infestation. Ask them the application rate they are going to use. Termidor is applied at 4 gallons of mixture, for every 10 linear feet, for every foot of depth (depth from surface to foundation footing) If you have a slab home, assuming it is a solid pour of concrete, aka monolithic slab, measure the length of each wall. Add them up. Divide that number by 10, then multiply by 4. Example= 220 linear feet. divide by ten= 22.0. Multiply by 4=88 gallons of Termidor to treat the area, giving the depth of the slab is 1 foot deep. The perfect treatment is a trench at least 4 inches deep. Treat the trench, push the soil back into the trench, then treat the top layer of soil. I personally dug a trench to the base of the foundation and removed any debris or obstruction. It took much more time, usually 1 to 2 days, but my homes NEVER had a call back for a re infestation. This was our practice from the day my father started in pest control using Dursban. Better to be more thorough than to explain why your treatment failed, and have to do it again. Research your final choices for their history with the state regulatory agencies. The department of agriculture for your state will have their history. Also the Better Business Bureau. Then choose upon quality of work and reputation. The cheaper guy will almost always cost you more down the road. Your home is the single biggest investment you have. You can PM me if you have more specific questions. :usflag:
  9. Chris@CRU

Great advice and thank you for the input!
  10. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

Can you give any information on what an inspection should be like? When my wife and I sold our first house an inspector came by for the people buying our house. He basically walked through every room of the house with a flashlight to see if he could see any tunnels in the sheetrock. He then went outside and with a pickax or similar instrument dug around the foundation at what I assume was certain intervals and that was it. Is that what a good inspection is like?

The house we live in now was deemed termite by the inspectors free when we bought it but the owners were honest and told us they had had an infestation and where it was located. They had a bond and the company took care of it. One year after we moved in we had another infestation in the same place. (under our front porch...looks to me like the porch may have been a separate pour than the foundation. The house is brick but under the porch is some kind of wood siding material.) The same company came back out and retreated the area. One year later we had another infestation in the same place (Holy Crap!) Well the company had been sold and the new owner tried to tell me they were not honoring the old contracts by the previous owner. I called Ag. & Industries, told them the story and the took care of it. Next thing I knew the new owner changed his mind and they retreated the entire house. He evidently did an excellent job as we have not had an infestation since.