Termites in Mulch... Warning

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Inman's lawn care, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

If you use mulch around your house be very careful about buying mulch this year. After the Hurricane in New Orleans many trees were blown over. These trees were then turned into mulch and the state is trying to get rid of tons and tons of this mulch to any stat e or company who will come and haul it away. So it will be showing up in Home Depot and Lowes at dirt cheap prices with one huge problem; Formosan Termites will be the bonus in many of those bags. New Orleans is one of the few areas in the country were the Formosan Termites has gotten a strong hold and most of the trees blown down were already badly infested with those termites. Now we may have the worst case of transporting a problem to all parts of the country that we have ever had. These termites can eat a house in no time at all and we have no good control against them, so tell your friends that own homes to avoid cheap mulch and know were it came from.

This is something I came across just thought I would let people that helped me know so they dont have problem later.
    I know I am going to be very careful on what I install for my customers.
    Inman's Lawn care
  2. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

I saw someone speak on the Formosan a couple of years ago at the Gulf States Horticulture Expo in Mobile, AL. Scares me to death to think about them coming here and getting like they are in La. The guy had pictures of what they call the Mothers Day Snowstorm which is basically the formosan swarming. One pic was of a street light at night and it looked like a blizzard.
  3. Does cedar kill termites? Maybe mixing in afew bags of cedar would work to be on the safe side. Just an idea?
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the warning,,will keep a sharp eye out for them.They are pretty picky what they let into Calif as far as plants and pests go but I don't know if they inspect mulch shipments.I am going to look further into this right now!
  5. sheshovel

OMG!They are already in southern Ca.I hope they don't like the high country!
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lol, wish they were that way about the PEOPLE they let in there... you guys have a lot of real headcases....LOL
  7. sheshovel

Oh your real funny tonight YardPro..I think it all started with the crazy Argonauts coming in from you all's states in the early 1800's.Darlin ...overland and round the cape too!Some never to return to their familys but to forget them and start off with new ones here.Interbreeding with the mexican and digger indians I am sure did not help the crazy population as it were.

4LLAWNSINC LawnSite Member

Cedar mulch doesn't kill termites-they just don't eat it.
  9. bushvelt

bushvelt LawnSite Member

How do they like the cold? It's 20 degrees here today, will they survive in N.Y.?
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

but when they go below the frost level or get into the 2x4's of your house, they could care less how cold it is outside....