1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

termites in mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ginkgo1, Jul 6, 2003.

1. ginkgo1

ginkgo1 LawnSite Member
    from KY

we install 350 - 400 yards of hardwood mulch every year. we have never noticed any termite problems with this mulch, even on the older jobs from 5 years ago. The problem is that more and more people are saying they heard mulches draw termites. How do you handle the question? They seem leary to put it around their house. We want to keep using the mulch but we are getting tired of hearing about this on every proposal. Help?
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I recommend shredded cypress, professional quiality, no float. Naturally insect repellant. Never had a problems with bugs.
  3. Buena Vista

Buena Vista LawnSite Member
    from Texas

couple of suggestions .. cedar mulch is highly suggested for those who have issues with thinking termites are attracted to mulch, termites don't attack cedar..... and tell them that termites are beneficial, they do the job of breaking down organic matter in the soil, you just don't want them attacking wood in the house and if there is no wet wood in the house the chances are slim the termites will attack... also beneficial nematodes used around the foundation are a great way to ward off termites from the home...
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

When they ask me that question everytime im about to put out mulch i tell them there is no need for concern because as much mulch as i have put out in the past few years i have never had a single problem with termites but if for some reason you do have termites then i will come back and treat for them at no cost. To this day i have never made a second visit to treat anything.
  5. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your local extension agent in NC we have a fungI or plant of some sort that gets in hardwood mulch and shoots it's spores at light or white ares like whit houses and white cars and makes them look dirty.
  6. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I use cedar mulch as others have stated, I tell all my clients that cedar is insect resistant naturally. I have never had a client come back with insect problems related to the mulch.
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Termites can't survive in mulch only. Someone might possibly see some when they "swarm" coming out of the mulch, but that's not their food source or their home, that's just where they came out. Also, I've seen the spores that were mentioned on a brick house that had been painted white. Oh by the way, I've been in the pest control business for longer than I care to think about. I'm out now and can really breathe better(for more than the obvious reason).