Terraced Walls

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SCL, Feb 9, 2002.

1. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

We have done many retaining walls , from whatever up to 800 sq. ft. Also over 4 ft. . Here's the question. How do any of you build terraced walls that would rise 16 ft in 4 lifts over a 35 foot run? I know the construction aspect and the engineering aspects. What I'm looking for are material logistics. How do you get your rock to the middle terraces? How do you get your backfill there? Any creative ideas that have worked and any other experience would help. Actually thought about getting a small pole crane for this . What do you think?
  2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

If seen jobs done with large excavators lifting up material, also seen guys rent telescopic lifts and other 45 degree. lefting devices...
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I first want to make sure I understand the question correctly -

There will be a total of four walls, with 35' between the first (bottom) and the last (top). Each wall we be approx 4' in height. Is this all correct?

If so, I'd think you could do some extra excavation to create dirt ramps for each tier, building each wall and each ramp one by one as you go, taking down/filling in each ramp when you build the next wall. It can work in tight spaces, too, just make sure you're facing down the hill, whether going up or down the ramp.
  4. SCL

Now Stone, this sounds like an adventure not for the feint of heart. Yes you are correct in your understanding. I've got 2 of these within a block of each other and another in a separate subdivision. Houses built on a riverside though none of these are water applications. Access from below on all, above also on two. Could get interesting.
  5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

My method would work where you have access from above, but not so well (not at all) when you only have access from below. And yeah, you should only have operators in the skid loader who understand what facing down the hill means - sounds simple enough, but, well, some of these guys....:rolleyes:

Can you get access from the top with wheelbarrows on those? I'm thinking for moving stone only.

What kind of incline are you talking about?
  6. cody

cody LawnSite Member
    from 6

Its hard to give feedback on a project I havent seen the logistics of, but how about a piece similar to a Bobcat Versahandler?
  7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Sorry I haven't been around here much lately. SCL, you might want to build your top wall first. I know it goes against rules of wall building, but it can be done. Having 8'-9' between walls gives you room to work ramps and backfill in plus you can set your grid into the high wall.
  8. SCL

Have thought about the Versahandler part. Nearest rentals 1 hour away. And I ain't gonna buy one at that price. Incline is severe. Approximately 18-20 foot drop over 35 to 40 foot run. Trying to go up backwards would be impossibe, and I don't overrate my personal operator abilities. I'm gonna talk to an excavator buddy of mine, these guys are always a lttle crazy:) Also thinking about building a slide for top access and looking into the possibility of some kind of conveyer for the bottom.
  9. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

10. creative concepts

creative concepts LawnSite Member

I have to agree as well with stevair and paul. We completed a retaining wall in November of 2000 that was two tiered, 115' long x 4' high. We had no access to the backside since it was heavly wooded and the grade of almost 50% made it impossible to get any kind of machinery up there. I know it goes against the basic rules of retaining walls but this might be your only option. My advice is to rely heavly on your transits, triple check all your measurements and build a few benches that the machinery can sit on while also being able to back out of. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me and we can discuss it further

Life is too short........don't sweat the small stuff