Terrible Crabgrass Issue

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by calandscaper, May 28, 2008.

1. calandscaper

calandscaper LawnSite Member
    from USA

Recently we adopted a large commercial property that has a solid amount of crabgrass. We tried using crabgrass killer in granual form and had a little success but not enough. My question is what would be the most cost effective and productive way to get this under control. Any suggestions would be appreciated. -Thanks

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

drive....................

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Mow at 3-4 inches. Mowing high is 90% of the solution. Split applications of dimension or barricade if the problem is real bad. If using one application do it around the second or third mowing. That would work for this area.

4. calandscaper

calandscaper LawnSite Member
    from USA

Thanks Grandview,

I do try and mow at that height. The problem is real bad so I will look into dimension & barricade. It looks as though it was let go for awhile now. Although I must say the past three years I think the Crabgrass seems to be a little worse in my area than I have seen in previous years so I really hope to find an affective product.

Thanks again!

5. HoustonLandscapeSales

HoustonLandscapeSales LawnSite Member

There is a product from a company called Agralawn. They make an organic cinamon bark crabgrass control that works very well in Texas. We sell it and have had great results. You can also purchase it online.

6. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

These products will PREVENT crabgrass, but they will not kill established crabgrass. You need to us Drive-very expensive and it may take 2 apps! Get a quote on what it will cost, give the customer an option of either trying to kill it or just waiting until the first frost kills it, then next spring go with Dimension or barricade.

7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Aclaim works well too. Aerate and reseed this fall to thicken up the lawn.

8. homemower

homemower LawnSite Member
    from Ray,Mi

Have it sprayed with Trimec, use a slightly heavier than normall amount, or have it done twice. In the spring use a pre-emergiant fertlizer. And last if you live in a frost zone the frost will kill it. Then just use the spring pre-emerg. You should have this done by a professinal. You should also over seed the grass to help fill in the holes left by the crabgrass this fall.