Terrible cut

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by sgoalie23, May 11, 2004.

1. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

my lazer is cutting like crap, leaves two strips of partially cut grass. Only 50 hours that was bought in March 2004. Still under the 1 2 3 warranty. What should i do, i can't keep double cutting. I am extremely frustrated with this Lazer Z 60 inch. ADIVSE!!! please

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Sgoalie23,

Your best bet would be to get the unit into the dealer ASAP. This may be something difficult to diagnose without actually seeing what the deck is doing but if you could provide me with the following information we may be able narrow it down a little for the dealer.

First are you mulching, bagging or side discharging? What type of blades are you using? What height are you cutting at? How much growth are you cutting off? I assume the grass is still growing fast and is fairly lush and full of moisture in your area yet. Please verify. I assume the problem is in Bluegrass and Fescue and not on properties with heavy weed growth. Again please verify.

Also send me a pm to terry.eckert@exmark.com with your name, serial number and the name of your dealer. That way if we eliminate some possible causes I can let them know what not to look for.

Thanks,

Terry

3. sgoalie23

Terry,
    I am mostly side discharging with high lifts and gators on top. Grass height ranges from 2.5 to 3.25. Thick grass, a lot of growth. When i cut my own lawn at 2.5 it leaves barely any uncut grass. When it gets to 3 inches it looks terrible with not one but two strips of partially cut grass. Since it is still under warranty will this cost me a lot of money? Again i appreciate your help. I will get the serial number ASAP.
    Thanks,
    Brian

4. eXmark

Brian,

First remove the doubles and put on a set of notched airfoils. It probably won't matter if they are ExcaliburÂ’s or the older style. If you haven't tried the factory set up in the current conditions you may be surprised what you'll see.

Also please call me at 1-800-667-5296. We may actually be able to get this one taken care of real quick without a trip to the dealer. You never know.

Thanks

Terry

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you are side discharging, do what terry said, dump the doubles and put on the excaliburs... something to be said about those suckers!

6. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

FYI .. I have noticed many members mention that the gators are causing the 'strips',

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Gators on a 60" Exmark deck are only good for taking off about 1-2" of grass. Any more and they leave 2 strips of grass cut slightly higher (About 14" in from each side.

Like Terry said.....Try a set of NEW, SHARPENED, OEM blades.

This time of year, with the moisture in the grass blade, GATORS are a poor excuse of a blade.

Right now I'm running a set of 1/4" thick (.250" vs .203") DC OEM high lift solid foils. They take more HP, but with the long thick wet grass, I was flexing the thinner ones.

8. sgoalie23

i took the doubles off, and put on high lift excaliburs. Still a strip and now i have more clumps before the doubles.

9. eXmark

Cool,

Now we're getting somewhere. It can be a lot more difficult to determine what is going on when we're dealer with blades or blade combinations we are not familiar with.

Where is the strip of uncut grass? Is it between blades, which ones, in the center of a blade, just off center etc. Again you can also call me at 1-800-667-5296 if it's easier.

Thanks,

Terry

10. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

sgoalie, you can call, but please also post :) because if your strip is between the blades, then you're seeing what I see in some places, and I'd like to see the resolution.