1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Terrible year!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Jul 20, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring started off great, mowing schedule filled to the max, almost to much for 2 guys. Now 8 weeks of extreme heat and not a drop of rain. Today we finally got 1.5" of rain in the a.m. Temps. hit over 90 as soon as the rain quit and the grass is still crispy as he!!, rain didnt help a bit. Finished up all my odd jobs, and small landscape jobs. I'm officially out of work except for the few people who have irrigation or water the grass. I will go from 24 cuts a year to around 18. :realmad: Starting to get a little nervous and wondering if I will be mowing anymore at all this year. Got all my advertising set up for next year and will be pushing landscaping pretty hard cause another year like this and I'll be flipping burgers, and I will definately not want to do that.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Expect this to be normal, please, most my customers lawns get cut 15-18 times a year, some 14-16. Also remember that in Jul-Aug, even if it rains every day, the grass slows way down, and it is genetic, it always does that.
    Things pick up some in September, if it rains at all see about pushing core aeration.

ALWAYS save some money from spring for Jul-Aug, these 2 months are notoriously slow.

p.s.: it takes at LEAST 3-4 days after it rains after a drought for any results to show, 1-2 weeks and longer is not unlikely.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, that is incredible. I'm about 100 miles from you and it's only that bad in drought years like 2002. Almost every year it's 26 cuts from the second week of April to the second week of October. And I only have 1 irrigated lawn.
  4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

How can you make any money money off 15-18 cuts a year and sometimes less? Seems kinda dumb to spend thousands on mowers and cut grass 3 1/2 months out of the year. Around here I dont ecpect this to be normal because normal is 24 cuts a year. I do expect some years to be worse then others but this the dryest year I've ever seen.
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah.....I live in the same area as Topsites, and I don't know what he is talking about. I was still cutting through October last year.
  6. robby

robby LawnSite Member

Here in Cincinnati it looked like it was gonna be one of those drought summers. Middle of June and the grass was already burning up in the heat. Luckily within the last two weeks we've received a ton of rain and the grass is really started to pull out of it. Cut some yards today, 6 days since their last cut, and had to double cut a lot of areas due to the grass being so thick and long. Looking forward to at least a couple more weeks of good growth before the summer heat takes its toll again. Around 24 cuts a year would be about average here, but I'm always prepared for one of those dry years where you only get 18-20 cuts in.
  7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Well then cut the crisp lawns. We are at 14 cuts this week with most accounts.
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Read Topsites posts...even he doesn't know what he is talking about!
  9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah.....I've noticed.
  10. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I am right about 16 cuts right now here in Columbus, Ohio. That is even with taking a week off because it was dry. We have been getting some rain here lately and thing have greened up. We normally end up with between 30 and 32 visits to all properties by the end of the year.

The 1.5 inches of rain you had today will need to soak in to get things going again. I hope you get more rain to help you out.