Tescumseh Engine RPM

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcetmc, Jan 1, 2005.

1. mcetmc

mcetmc LawnSite Member

I have two 40 year old snowblowers with Tescumseh engines, one a 7 horse power, the other a 6 horsepower.

Can anyone tell me what RPM I should set them to – the best balance between throwing snow and long life? What are the maximum safe RPMs for the engines?

I had an engine that went to a high RPM because the governor failed. Someone said that the high RPM could have stretched the connecting rod. What is the likelihood of that happening? How would it affect the engine operation, assuming the rod does not break?

Thanks for any responses.

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

3600 RPM is the standard for small engine RPM's.

Basically anywhere over 3600 and you're in danger of throwing a rod through the side of the block.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I've never heard of stretching a rod. I dout that it done any real damage to your engine. If you ran it very long faster than 3600 it would throw a rod through the block like smalltimer said.

4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some older engines are governed at 3200. I do have a Tecumseh L-Head manual. If you don't mind, can you give me its S/N# and model # and I'll see what my manual says on it.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Smalltimer, just wondering but what engines does your manual cover. All the single cylinder L head engines and if so back to what year? About how much do they cost and the part # if its not too much trouble.

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Run it at 3200 RPM! 3600 is a bit to fast and will shorten the engine life!

They raised it to 3600 to get better hp ratings, so 3200 will be perfect and any that I work on will be set at this!

7. mcetmc

mcetmc LawnSite Member

Thank you for offering to look up the RPM information.

For the 7 Hp: Model H70-13027, Spec. 130000. I can not read the serial number.

For the 6 HP: Model H60-750038, Spec. 75000. I can not read all of the seria number. It is, in part, 04120.

I wonder if this engine is actually a 6 HP. Its muffler is round and screws into a 1", 15 degree pipe fitting. Its pull starter housing is cast aluminum, not stamped metal. Can I tell the HP independently of markings and without taking off the head - such as by measuring the distance between head bolts?

I have a copy of "Tecumseh Engines Mechanic's Handbook", 3 -10 H.p. (Light & Medium Frame. It lists engine specs such as bore, stoke, beaing diameters , and other repair spec. It was published by Tecumseh, about 30 pages, in about 1969. If you need any information from it, tell me.