Test #2 of J.D 997 Side Discharge verses Rear Discharge deck model

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Following the previous threads from this week re my test of a J.D Side Discharge 997, against my problematic 997 Rear Discharge.

Test 1 failed as no predelivery was done, engine was only revving at 2700rpm not 3000...this machine needs full power to properly work the 7 Iron.

the story continues...

Well, got bloody mechanic to put revs up to 3000rpm, he had em on
    2700, we had to go to dealership owner to make this happen!

anyway, we tested the RD against the SD this arvo in 3 ft tall grass, short grass, lawn grass etc, we made chaff everywhere on purpose to see if the rear screen would clog and cause overheating like my RD 997 does, the RD just was hopeless in comparison! The SD did not have clogging issues or heating issues!

The SD was a power house, bloody awesome!

My new mower is a 997 SD, I'm so impressed with it, never had that feeling with the other.

Ultra clean cut, can mow jungles and nice stuff, awesome!

And most importantly, no downtime from overheating!! yeeehaaa!

I'm very happy, happiest I've been with a machine in 6 months!

The SD deck is heaps better than the toro turbo force too, amazingly,
    the j.d deck is able to feed more volume in, excellent on stringers too!
    (never thought I'd say that!)

I just wanted to tell yas!

I can stop annoying the crap outa deere and the deere lovers now! lol.
    maybe ha ha ha!

So far from my test I can recommend the J.D Side Discharge 60'' deck ('05 model) 997 model.

BTW, The dealership owner made this exchange happen, not the salesman, not J.D, so I'm not thanking or praising Deere, but I am greatful to my dealer ship owner.
  2. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

YEEHAH finally!!!!!!!!!!!!:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:
  3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does your deck have the mulch on demand feature ?
  4. Tonyr

Lol Stuie!

Bill, No....it is the old style deck, not even the 1 Iron 11.....beggars can't be choosers lol.

I'm tossing up between a mulch kit or OCDC, leaning more towards OCDC but in our money that is $600, simply can't justify that, so I'll make a rough as chute blocker.

Nice to finally put this crap behind me....

Just gotta get a new hood for it, bloody transport company damaged it badly, the fun just never ends lol!
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

6. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to be an 'I told you so' (no I don't really) but I told you so:rolleyes: Goodluck with your summer mowing
  7. Tonyr

Great link! Thanks Bill!

The blade tip speed is only up by about 500 approx?

Reinforced spindle pockets, great idea!

Wander how much wider the discharge is compared to mine?

I'll crawl under the machine tomorrow, interested to see what is different about the baffle...

I did notice today when cutting long grass it would clump, but the massive airflow would break it up, but I'm talking very long grass, had to really test it lol!

I'll keep you posted, I got pics too, I'll put em on tomorrow, this is how ya really test a deck, and to see if the chaff is gunna clog it! lol.

lets just say....had some fun with it! ha ha
  8. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Keep the angle grinder locked in the shed this time Tonty!
  9. Tonyr

Ha ha, yeah, yeah, you told me so!

while it does collect some chaff on the screen it seems to only be so much and takes a long time to build up, I doubt this model would even over heat or clog on my worse job.

How different the 2 machines perform is amazing, I am still a fan of rear discharge, but I think there is more research needed before they are good enough for the market.

But you are correct, like the 2 Mikes who follow me around waving the deere flag lol, the side discharge 7 iron is a good deck, and from todays 'big' test I am confident to say the 7 iron on a 997 machine is a good mix.

I was totally impressed today! Couldn't get it to chaff up, and I tell ya, we tried! in 10 minutes the RD was 80% clogged, I mowed 3 acres of grass ranging from 3ft to short, then ran through the chaff on double cutting, probably mucking around for 2 hours, made it very dusty, and had the chute up, most chaff it would collect was a couple of hand fulls, actually to be exact, a fine cover the exact size of the radiator on the rear screen.....like the system is balanced.....where the RD simply needs more research.

While I agree the 7 iron has impressed me, and the 997 SD has impressed me, I still will say deere really needs to get off of their high horse and get the RD models performing better, deere have handled my issues badly, it was the dealership owner who arranged all of this, not deere, my opinion of deere has not changed.
  10. Tonyr

Ha Ha, your a funny bugger ain't ya lol!

This model is so simple compared to the RD, mate there isn't anything to 'modify'.....back to bare basics now.

'night.....hey, wait till I show you the pics!!:drinkup: