1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Test drove a Scag Pro-V today...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DCE, Feb 6, 2008.

1. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

This afternoon I finally had a chance to see the Pro-V for myself during an open house at a local dealer. The Scag distributor rep was there with it and I got a chance to talk in-depth with him about it. The demo unit was the SWZV48V-17KAI model with the 48" Velocity Plus deck and 17 HP recoil start Kawi KAI engine. Giving the mower a hard once-over, it is put together very well. All welds are smooth, fit and finish of the parts are tight. One of the things I like about the Pro-V is the single-lever height of cut control. Just position the pin at the deisred height and lower the deck using the hand lever. It also raises and locks into the transport position.

The Pro-V drives very well. It's smooth, not jerky. Set your maximum forward speed with the speed control lever and press down on the V-Bar to go forward. Turn the V-Bar to either side like riding a bike and the mower steers in that direction. Zero degree turns are easily accomplished by turning the V-Bar all the way to either side. Going from forward to reverse is easy...again, very smooth transition in direction. The linkage for the V-Bar on the hydro pump level is pretty involved, check out the pic. Tracking is easily adjusted on the control panel via two knobs. The V-Bar itself is comfortable due to the Senso-Grip operator presence control. No squeezing!

The Scag Pro-V is very intuitive to operate. It kind of reminds me of the Hustler H-Bar Plus on their Trimstars. Easy as riding a bike! Later on this year I will probably demo a Pro-V and see how it is in action. Scag also plans on making some sort of fixed sulky w/ caster wheels available for the Pro-V.

With all the walkbehinds with ergonomic hand controls on the market now, manufacturers are making them more intuitive to operate while at the same time making them safer and more productive as well. I'm impressed with the Pro-V. It's a very well put together machine tha is quite easy to operate with a minimal learning curve.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think this mower is gonna take back alot of the walkbehind market, Im a huge fan of the t-bar, I had a scag Wb but got rid of it because of the pistol grips. I cant wait to see this mower inthe field and get to operate it

3. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am a very big fan of pistol grip I just cant seem to get the hang of the new loop style steering that is on most new mowers. I really think a stand up mower ( Great Dane and Everide ) would be great in a pistol grip I think they would sell more. But This Pro V is Awsome I would love to try it out for a day the price is steep though $6900 or so.
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I've wondered about it to, sure does look nice !!
  5. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Boy that looks ALOT LIKE the HUSTLER!!!!! I don't understand why the V bar is so much lower then the solid (black) bar. Looks like it would be hard to stableize yourself behind the mower esp. when on a sulky.
  6. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer is dropping one off for me to tinker with tomorrow. I'm real excited about the new style. I have been complaining about the pistal grips for years.
    I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow night.

7. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

kjslawn, what size mower were you pricing? I was quoted $4800.00 for the 36"
    hydro 16 kaw.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

YIKES !!!!! 6900 bux....wow you can get a tiger cub Z and have gas money left over.....I dont know how many of them will make it at that price

9. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I was at conex in Hartford CT today had a 48 inch for 5500 and change.
  10. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

really nice looking mower,and would be great for flat areas. but where i use walk behinds there is no way this machine will doit. on steep slopes i use the ecs grips to help stabilize the machine with hydro control still in hand.but i cant see that with this machine.willie