Test drove Ferris IS 5000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Jul 11, 2002.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

What a beast! It's fast and big, including the price, $14,000. The front suspension absorbed a lot of the bumps and made the ride smooth. Since the lawns have drie up, I couldn't cut any grass with it. The engine sound is like no other. It really sounds like a Catapiller bulldozer! Big rear tires- 26"ers.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Know whatcha mean, Bob...I demoed it for a couple of days from the big Ferris Distributor near me (I run a bunch of Ferris WBs). That baby has got more torque than I could imagine when I first tried it.

They say that Cat. engine should do 6000 hours no sweat before needing any major overhaul...h***, the deck will be falling apart before those hours come up.

You're right, 14K+ is a bit dicey.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

rodfather,
    That must be a cheap copy of a Cat. engine if it will only go 6000 hrs. All the Cat. engines I have been around were just getting broken in good at 6000hrs. I would expact more like 10,000 hrs out of it.:D

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Look closely at that cat engine.......
    It says or did say Perkins........

5. Mowingman

from Texas

Mowerconcultant,
    That would explain the 6000hr statement then. It is probably from the family of engines they use in Cat. forklifts.:(

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yeah,
    Cat owns Perkins......
    They bought them in 97 I believe

7. rodfather

Ah, good point Mowingman...probably (most likely) my mistake!

I think the 6000 hour point is where you would "start" to think about major overhaul...dunno...never had something last that long.

r

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I just hope riders don't evolve like our cars. A good rider is one thing, but $14,000 just to cut grass........Whew!!!!! There will come a point when the payments will be more than you can justifiably charge the customer.
    Pete

9. rodfather

Hummm, good point Pete...I was just thinking the exact thing!

10. Mowingman

from Texas

I do not know how they are going to sell that machine when Grasshopper, Exmark, and Dixie Chopper all have good, proven, diesel machines that sell for considerably less money. I guess if someone just has to have a Ferris, or if Ferris is the only brand locally avail., they may sell a few. As Switchless said, you can only charge customers so much. Heck, even governmental agencies will likely not buy at that price. Gov. agency pricing here in Texas for Grasshoppers is at least 2000 cheaper for a similar machine and Toro Groundmasters with diesels are sold to govt. agencies for around 10,500.:)