Test drove the Gravely prototypes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Well I finally got my chance to test out the new Gravely prototypes, a 36" belt and and a 48" hydro.

The 36" came with a Kawasaki 13 hp [bold]twin[/bold] that is very smooth.

In a head to head comparision the Gravely 36 cut grass as well as my 36" Exmark Metro in almost every catagory.

The mower is very fast, 7.4 mph.

The new 48" hydro floating deck is a very nice machine.

It came equipted with a Kawasaki 17 hp twin electric start.

The mower deck on this machine is awesome. It came with double blades from the factory and it cut right through everything I had to cut.

One of the neat things on this mower is the angled front casters. On most mowers the casters stick straight out of the front of the deck making it difficult to get in close in inside corners. The casters on the new 48 are angled in toward the center of the machine making inside corner cuts much closer that any other machine I have ever used.

2. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

If anyone else would like to test drive them and steer our design we might be able to make it happen. Right now we have machines in Maryland and Louisanna. One additional hydro unit will be going out to Missouri - KC & St Louis area in the next 2 weeks.

Any help evaluating and tweeking them is greatly appreciated. I want to serve you as best I can and I need your feedback.

We have already updated a few of our prints based on a suggestion from Richard so we are listening and responding.....thank you!

Richard, thank you for your patience.

Barry Adamski
    Gravely Engineer

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Gravely actually makes a true 48 inch mower mow? I always thought it was odd that they were the only one that made a 50 inch mower!

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The 48 hydro and the 36 belt I drove are completely new mowers. They are not available for sale at this time.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

well...this news certainly make me glad I didn't go out and buy one of their current mowers!

GEO

6. Eng Mwr Guy

The "old" 36 & 50 are still offered this year.

Geo-

My wife is from Harriman, TN and I could use an excuse to be down that way. Would you like to demo one of the new units?

Barry

7. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

I would love to demo one if you get the chance. I am in Hickory, NC which ain't to far from TN. I got a wonderful gravely dealer. Thanks

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

mower guy--you bet! but you know your offer is unfair! you are gonna have me wanting one of those real bad! arrrggghhh!;)

GEO

9. Eng Mwr Guy

Mmmmm. Sounds good. I can probably help with that.

At the very least something to put on the Christmas list.

LOL

Barry

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I dont know about the new walkbehind units, but I drove one of the new Promaster 3 wheelers this last Spring, and MAN, was it fast! What a difference from MINE! I wish I could make mine like that. I realize that alot of it comes from the larger wheels and tires, but mine is quite a bit faster than stock due to some modifications I made to it a few years ago. STILL not as fast as the new ones though! The only thing is, is that I wish they would have stuck to the other deck lift though. It is just too handy for several things.