1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Test drove the Stihl BR600 today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Nov 17, 2006.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the market for a new bad boy back pack blower. I have the Red Max 8000 and it blows like a hurricane. But its the only thing it does well. Iv had nothing but problems and head aches from the beast. There's more then a few times I almost backed over it on purpose.

The Stihl BR 600 has more spit and polish the Red Max. It just looks better thought out. It was light , and felt comfortable on my back. It was quiet compared to what I'm used too. The Red Max is as loud as a 2 cycle motor cross bike. But what really mattered to me is how much air the BR 600 blows.

The BR600 blows like a hurricane too. To me it has as much balls as the Red Max 8000.The Red Max might seem to be more powerful because of the loud 2 cycle engine. I tryed both blowers side by side on an old pile grass . They both struggled with the pile. Depending on what way you pointed the nozzle made all the difference on both blowers.

I think the Stihl did a better job of blowing leaves out of the prickers. The one thing I didn't compare them on, is a mountain of leafs. I was demoing the BR 600 at the dealer ship.

I don't know how the BR600 holds up over time. Today at the dealership I was impressed.
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had one since the beginning of the summer and it has not missed a beat yet. Starts on the 1st pull usually, sometimes it'll take 2 but never more than that. Great fuel economy. I would buy another.
  3. dennys-lawn

dennys-lawn LawnSite Member

Running 2 Now And Buying 2 More In Spring.
  4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, if you are going to buy one, my advice is to take home the same one you demoed.
    I say this because it seems the BR600 mfg/design lacks consistancy.
    The reason being is that I feel the same as you to an extent.
    But many here do not.
    I'm confident they ended up with 'duds' that didn't make full power.

In any event, I guess some folks think I've became anti-Stihl or something because I've been buying RedMax stuff this year. But I haven't. I still endorse Stihl, still have their logo in my sig line and still really like most of their products. To be honest about it, I've replaced only 1 piece of Stihl equipment with a RedMax and that's only because Stihl no longer makes that unit.

Anyways, back to the blower topic... I decided to go with the EBZ8001's and other RedMax products instead of sticking my neck out on the chopping block by adding more 4-mix tools. I figured my safest bet was to 'spread my risk' for a while.

For everyday blowing and normal use blowing, there isn't a whole lot of difference to me. For that, it's more about personal preferences than anything.... and for some chores I think I prefer the more pinpont air stream of the BR600's and PB-751's. But for the rest, I prefer the 8001's.

Other than the 8001's being so big, I prefer them for blowing out beds. With different configurations of the stock tubes you can get 3 different air streams which helps there. The same goes for really extreme leaf work.

The performance gap shows up when moving massive amounts of leaves though.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Exactly:) :)
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

one thing i will add, you need 89 octane to achieve maximum blowing force. i seen a difference in about two tank fulls on blowing performance with the lower grade fuel.

No big deal.
  8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I think the two blower are great. I think the stihl is the better all around blower. I will be buying two more for clean ups.
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

There are so many reasons I like the br600 better too. Lighter...love the turtle shape (doesnt snag)...not as loud...great on fuel...and it kicks BUTT!
  10. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

So if any one wants to try and talk me out of buying the BR600, nows the time. I still have my options open. I would still consider the Red Max 8001 if all the bugs are worked out. As far as the BR600, $450 is a lot of money for a blower that might not be consistent or reliable. :)