test in P.A

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by workaholic, Jan 3, 2004.

1. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone give me any info on how hard the test is to get my pesticide licence? how much liabilty insurance i will need? should I start out with a back pack sprayer or a slide in skid mount? as of now i only have a commerical acc. and a res. acc. to squirt and fert for this coming year...

2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Workaholic
    If your just starting out, as it seems from your post, you're better to backpack spray for no more accounts than what you're indicating. You can get a 30-50 gallon holding tank to carry in the pick up to fill the backpack with though the season. Now if you end up with 40-50 accounts then it would justify possibly getting a spray tank of the 200-300 gallon variety.
    As for the Pa test, I had taken it but its been about 10 years ago, it was an open book test but you better read and review all the material becuase it will require you to know where to find some of the info that was in the study book. You need to study to pass the test and some working knowledge about weeds and insect problems. I'm not sure what the insurance requirments are any longer in PA, because I have since dropped the Pa license as I'm in Ohio.
    Good Luck!

3. workaholic

Thanks for the reply. it is no longer an open book test but have been studying for a month and hope to take test in early febuary. thanks again

4. grassguy_

from Ohio

I took it at the Schenango Valley Campus of Penn State awhile ago, I'm sure they've made some changes since then. I do remember it was fairly straight forward as long as you read the study material you should do fine.

5. workaholic

DO YOU HAVE A HARD TIME COMPETING IN THIS MARKET WITH THE BIGGER COMPANYS? I do 70%res.and 30% comm. mowing, LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE, we have done some landscape installs but i figured since truegreen chem lawn was servicing most of my clients that maybe we can get are foot in the door on pesticide apps. and do alright with it i guess time will tell.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I took the test 2 years ago here in PA. The core test was closed book and the catagory test was open book. The core test was some what easy and just alot of common sense while the cat 7 (turfgrass) test was pretty difficult even with being open book. Im not sure what the minimum insurance requirement is. I know I added it to my 1,000,000 dollar liability policy and it only added 50 dollars a year to my rate.

7. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

The PA Core test is a closed book exam testing your knowledge in Pesticides, labeling of pesticides, caution indicators, storage,ect. mainly common sense information but with some math computations included, such as knowing application rates. Know your nozzels and some equipment specs but the study guide covers everything you need. Study it and you should have no problem. Category tests are open book but I recommend you get familar with where info is located as the questions can be tricky and specific. Call any extension office for more info.
    Trugreen/Chemlawn and related big application only shops do poorly in this area due to lousy training/customer service. Most of the "techs" have little or no knowledge of turf, turf related problems, tree knowledge, or horticulture-in-general knowledge. When I was with Scotts, some guys passed the Cat. 6 ( trees and Shrubs) not knowing the difference between a Taxus and Tsuga!
    I gave training to these guys when I brought this "problem" up w/ mgmt. Eventually, I was promoted to Sales Supervisor and trained everybody including the Branch Mgmr.
    John

8. workaholic

Thank you john the current clients that i do serve i have excellent relationships with. Most of them have asked if i do pest. app. and i always have to turn them down so there is no time better then now...

9. grassguy_

from Ohio

Workaholic,
    I would have to say the same as John, Tru Green is the biggest competition to our area but with the poor service and terrible agronomic program, customers eventually realize they're only getting sub par service and their lawns aren't doing as well as they're capable. Easier for us to sell those that want quality, if they want cheap well then stay with the cheap guys.