test JD or kubota??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CAT MAN, May 18, 2008.

1. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

ok I tested a kubota zd331 and it was a great mower and we are also going to test a JD 797, I will let you know how it turns out if anyone has used these mowers before please give me info! thanks

2. CAT MAN

from PA

I have the 797 right know waiting for tomorrow to test it just running it seems pretty powerful and quicker then the kubota!

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 797 and love it

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I Demo'ed a JD 997 60" 7-Iron rear discharge deck, also the local John Deere dealership had only one JD 997 the Demo unit. The Yanmar diesel seemed powerful lots of torque, and of course the 7-Iron deck is solid. The JD 997 has a fiberglass hood that is fragile, and leaves the rear engine exposed to damage without ordering the optional metal brush gaurd a must for the JD 997. Since I already own a 7-Iron deck, and with the power & torque of the 997 diesel it's an excellant large area mower, just getting your hands on one is trouble around here waiting list. local Kubota dealer has a better selection of in stock equipment no guessing what the more powerful unit would be like, where the John Deere dealer has no diesel ZTR's in stock gotta order one 3 month wait??

5. CAT MAN

from PA

well I dont think I need a diesel thats why I was wondering how good the 797 jd is, but I will find out tomorrow!

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

John deere did not offer a ZTR with a diesel until the 997, if your looking at the 797, your at least looking at a 60" 7-Iron deck? You would be crazy to not spend the extra cash for the longevity, and low end torque of the diesel 997 to run a 7-Iron deck. I sure wish their was a JD ZTR diesel option back when I purchased my F-680.

7. CAT MAN

from PA

well I will see if the 797 turns out good like the guy at the dealer said I will stick with that and not a diesel

8. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Greetings from another JD fan club member
    2-2005 997
    1-2007 757
    1-2003 655
    1 1994 F725
    3-XT 170 trimmer
    1-XT 140SB trimmer

We first demo'd a 797 but found it would be too slow for our purposes, the sales rep said the dealership would be getting a new diesel mower and we could try that when it arrived. We've ended up with the two of them. They are big and seriously heavy

9. CAT MAN

from PA

well I will let you know this afternoon guys

10. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

If you are near Jersey my dealer has at least 2 997 in stock POLE TAVERN EQUIPMENT Elmer NJ 08318