1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tested all (Stihl) BP blowers today...!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Commando, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Decided today to head to my area's largest dealer, which happens to carry Stihl.
    My tests were on various surfaces and debris
    Tried out the BR 380 D for $299 it started easy, little different sounding than 4 stroke engines, blowing power just wasn't there ...
    Than tried the BR 550 MSRP $399 what a difference, I was blowing pebble stones, sticks and even embedded leaves in dirt with ease ...
    Finally, tried the BR 600 MSRP $499 it's comparable to the BR 550 just not worth the extra $100 for a little more CFM ....

Tomorrow, I'm picking up the BR 550 The price is right, and the dealer support, and service is what mainly what sold me....TC
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know but take a brick with you. That's always a good test if there aren't any leaves around. My Redmax 7001 will move one along fairly well. I use handhelds day to day but when I buy a back pack type I go for the largest they have. The time it saves in the fall will pay for it's self.
  3. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

im trying to make the same choice i have a bunch of BR420's and a couple junky echo 651's
    and need a few replacements. ANyone own both? is it worth the extra $100?
  4. Bo614

Bo614 LawnSite Member

I bought 2 of the BR 550's and 2 of the BR 600's this year. I was gonna get all 600's but they didnt ave enough so as one person stated that the 550 is close enough.... but i was wrong the 600 handles bigger jobs better then the 550. I didnt notice this until i used them side by side and the guy with the 550 finished the job about 20mins after the other guy with the 600 then the next day i used the same two guys and switched blowers and the guy that was faster the day before finished about 15 mins behind the other guy. The guys didnt kow i was using them to test them in the real world because i wanted them to work like normal and not think about it. that showed me that it there is a diffrence in the blowers even tho one might say small. take that 20 mins on the job you save times it by too ( number of jobs in a day) then take the 40mins you would save times 5 ( days of the week we work) thats 3hours and 20 mins a week you save... witch is about a big job time for us... so in my case yes!!! the 600 is worth the extra $100 you spend and in a season you will have more time to make even more money!:usflag:
  5. retiredat49

retiredat49 LawnSite Member

Bought the redmax eb7001 today...easy start, LOTS of power, and comfortable...oh and a 2 year warranty instead of 1 with the Stihl...
  6. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We have the Stihl 550 and 600. There is a huge difference between the two models, the 600 is certainly worth the extra $
  7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Go with the 600's. I have 2 of them and their some great blowers.
  8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

The BR 600 did blow a little harder vs the BR 550 (IMO) $100 doesn't justify the small upgrade .... If I'm going to spend an extra $100 or $150 I'm getting a Shindaiwa eb 630....
  9. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

600 is definitely worth the money if you do cleanups!!!
  10. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just got my 600 a couple of weeks ago. Wish I had sprung for it sooner.