1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tested out some different ztrs this week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir mowsalot, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Curently im running a dc. Looks like i will be switching to another brand in the spring, so i went out testing the waters this week. Love the cut of the scag wildcat, but good lord the steering bars are harder than rowing a boat, out of the question(and i was sure i was going to go with a scag).
    Ferris cut good, but i just was not comfortable on it, just not for me.. Gravely felt awesome, really awesome. Smooth steering, very comfortable ride, but the cut seemed to be off somewhat. Several uncut blades of grass after each pass.. Im still thinking really hard about the gravely. Next was the exmark hp. very comfortable, easy steering, felt just right. Smooth ride, was a pleasure to operate, but unfortunatly i wasnt able to cut with it yet, but will soon enough, and i just kknow it is going to cut sweet. I am really leaning toward the exmark. Plus the dealer has great service.. And i now saw on that other thread the new models for 06 and the changes to the hp make it almost a hands down decision.

LASTEC LawnSite Member

are you coming to the Expo in Louisville, KY next month?
  3. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I'd go with the SCAG. I have five SCAGs and never had any problems. The stiff control bars probably just need adjusted.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The reason they are stiff is scag makes em tough
  5. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

The Scags also loosen up over time. When new they are very tuff.
  6. Sir mowsalot

I wasnt aware you could adjust them. Also , someone else said that they ease up over time. I will have to reconsider the scag wildcat. scags also look b*tchin cool.So you have five scags? How do they cut in heavy dew in the mornings? I have a 48" wb scag w/ advantage deck and it does pretty darn good, and the cut is superb. In my area (central Pa.) scag is everywhere. I am the only one in this area running a dc, and everyone does a double take when they see it. Most never saw one before around here.
  7. Sir mowsalot

No im not. Why? Im going to the power expo in Harrisburg Pa. on Nov.9-10
  8. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

why dont you like your dixie chopper? Never have run one, I was just wondering why.
  9. Sir mowsalot

Its not that i hate it or anything. I like the dc, and i will keep it as my backup, but it has some drawbacks to it, such as, HILLS. In comparison to other machines on hills dc's arent the best. Also, my dc moves all over the place on the trailer, and that is with the emergency brake tightened down really far. It is also not the most comfortable mower to ride around on, but its control levers are the easiest things going. The cut is good, as well as the striping, but i think a scag has a much better cut, a more fine tuned precisiion cut. And if i were to buy a new dc, i would have to worry about those new decks that are having streaking problems. And i can get a new scag or exmark, or gravely for about $400-$700 cheaper than a dc. It used to be dc was the cheapest around here.
  10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Strap it down !