Testimonial for Commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Feb 13, 2001.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Just returned home today to see we had a call from the dealer where we just last week purchased two Exmarks.

They asked us to call them back regarding making a testimonial about their dealership for an upcoming commercial.

Has anyone ever done one of these? Are there any drawbacks that I am not thinking of? I haven't called them back yet; will do that tomorrow.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Do you mean we may have a Movie Star moderating here at LawnSite? Your customers might see this and tell all their friends to hire the Movie Stars. :)

Don't forget to mention LawnSite in this commercial. ;)

[Edited by Eric ELM on 02-13-2001 at 09:48 PM]

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Great! We just went from having 1MajorTom to now having 1 Major Tom Cruise!

4. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting question. At first glance it seems like, 'why not?', but since I was recently asked to write a testimonial letter for the dealer who just sold me a new LazerZ, I've given it some thought.

First point is that I'm the kind of guy who when asked for my zip code at the retail store [ToysRUs, SportsAuthority,etc.] asks them what they are going to give me in return. Occasionly I've had friends with me give me a funny look, but I figure that the store has a business reason for asking me for this information and they haven't offered me anything in return, so I refuse to give them something of business value for nothing. If they want my zip code they could at least offer me a cents off coupon.

Also, I don't respond to mail surveys unless they provide me with something in return [I NEVER fill in my income level on anything except my 1040]. Just because I bought something from a company, why should I spend my time filling in their survey, providing them with demographic information that they use for business purposes, UNLESS they offer me something in return. I can't remember what it was for right now, but one time I got a very short survey with a dollar bill included--I answered right away! Even though it was short, my time spent was probably worth more than a dollar but I wanted to encourage them for at least attempting to do the right thing.

I politely tell phone solicitors and survey takers, 'not interested' and hang up--enough said.

I turn the volume off/mute on when a commercial plays on TV.

So, I've established my credentials as either a real scrooge or someone who refuses to devalue my worth and waste my time when asked to provide something for nothing. The first lesson in college economics was TANSTAAFL - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. This brings us to the dealer request.

I've probably already spent as much time writing this screed as I would typing up a nice letter on letterhead saying what a great guy the dealer was and how much I enjoyed doing business with him and what a great deal he gave me, BUT, is that the thing to do? He actually ended up getting absolutely as much as he felt I would be willing to pay for the mower, even though it was a good price when compared to the two other quotes I got and the comparable prices I saw here on LawnSite. He never actually gave me anything, although I did buy a dozen extra blades from him cheaper than I could get them mail order. He did try to act nice and spend time answering my questions and still treats me decent. I probably will want to buy some more accessories and other tools as needed from him. There is still future opportunity for me to benefit from having a good relationship from him, SO, I guess I'll go ahead and write that letter [I've already wasted this much time already! LOL]

I guess if you really want to be a celebrity and do an appearance and be famous, then it could pay off for you if the right person sees it and says, 'hey, it's those folks on TV, let's get them to do our lawn!', so what the heck, you might as well do it. Will

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm pretty much on the same page as Will(Mr. Ziffel), maybe not quite the extreme, I listen to commercials. LOL. I would want to know what's in it for me?:confused: Did you get some screaming deal on eqiupment? Maybe you could work your company name into the commercial?;) I really think it would mostly be a positive situation but I also would make sure it helps me out a little also. Why not? Good luck with whatever you decide!:cool:

Randy

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Have you worked with this company before? Can you truthfully say they are good? Do you know they stand behind their products? Are they worth your reputation? Is their service to commercial cutters prompt? If the answer to any of these is no, I would really consider a way to politely back out of this.

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe theres a way to promote your biz in this commercial also, like Walker magazine articles do. They feature business's in their ads and promote both with the products. Well good luck, either way this should help your relation with the dealer if you do it!

8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I am with 65hoss on this one. If you dont back this dealer 100% in every instance then i would say no. I just happen to have a great dealer, but, just for fun lets say he was slow on repairs or never had his main stocked mower parts in storage. If i could never get any work there, then neither will future customers. They they will go home disgruntaled and blame it on that grass company on tv for all of their problems.

I guess i am just lucky, i am too danged ugly to get onto television! Unless of course you count COPS. LOL

Acute Cut

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

FYI, these are asked for to take market surveys of where customers come from. What do you get in return? If a large amount of people from your area visit a store far away this gives them easy data on where to build next, maybe you get a store closer to you.

I sure do ask prospects where they live, giving a zip code cost nothing and my help you in the future.

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Update

Well we decided to do the commercial. We'll be shooting this upcoming Thursday. It will be airing on ESPN, Lifetime, the History Channel, and Home & Garden that I know of incase anyone in our area cares to know.

I talked to the lady about getting to stand outside next to our truck, and she said the producer is pretty accomodating so she doesn't see why we couldn't.

I'll let everyone knows how it goes. Hopefully I won't break the camera. [​IMG]