1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Testing blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cp, Jun 20, 2001.

1. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Well I started testing blades today. I have a 60" Lazer and have been running factory blades in a single config. The cut has been very good on most of my lawns. Thought I would try some of the combos I've been reading about...

Today was Gator Mag in a single setup, tall dry fescue and clover. Did not perform as well as the factory singles. Next cut I will try in a double config with the Gators on top. This yard is my testing ground because it is a bi weekly cut and I need to find the right combo to make this cut without having to double cut it.

I know there have been a lot of discussion on blades but I thought that I would just try some things and let you guys know how they turn out.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have found when the grass is wet, double medium lift blades or one of them and a hi lift blade work good. When it's dry, a regular or hi lift along with a Gator type blade works good. I also have found the combination that works good for one deck, might not work as well on another deck, so try several combinations.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Go out and buy OEM Dixie Chopper 60" solid foil blades. They work the best so far for my Lazer, aside from doubles. The doubles and dry weather = LOTS-A-DUST and LOTS-A-NOISE !!! I only use doubles for leaves.
  4. phillipsce

phillipsce LawnSite Member

:confused: double blades? Can someone tell me what we're talking about? Explain how you put them on please.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i dont think it would work on a 60 but i have found that 1/2 wt
    universal hi lifts work real well on a 52.also noticeably less pull on the engine and clutch.i attribute the smooth sound to the fact that all four blades weigh the same.bend easier but you can streighten them out on the spindle with you hands or a pipewrench or something.works good in some applications. i dont know if the longer blade on the 60 would hold its strait shape at high bld speed.
  6. cp

I have noticed a little more pull on the engine with the thicker Gators, and I haven't check the RPMs for max power yet.

Hey Eric, if you see this, I was wondering if two med/high lift blades are heavier than one Mag.???
  7. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

doubles dont work as good for us. We run all our mowers with two regular blades and one high lift blade on the chute side. Its the best combo for us.
  8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

cp, I have not seen a Magnum yet, but I would think 2 medium lift blades would be heavier. It's not the weight that is a problem, it's the amount of lift that slows down rpms.
  9. cp

Thanks for the reply Eric.

I will try and be back with another set in a few.

The high lift on the chute side maybe worth a try...

Thanks all..:blob3: