Testing CDI coils

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawn6@bigpond, Dec 22, 2005.

1. lawn6@bigpond

lawn6@bigpond LawnSite Member

Got a second hand IMRIE tester with all the leads . It works well on the spark gap setting , have tested some other coils which gave a good reading but as there was no instruction book with it not sure how to test CDI coils . Can anyone tell me which leads I need to connect where on these coils .

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I have never seen a tester for a CDI coil, Not saying there isn't one just never seen one. I just use a in-line spark tester and remove the kill wire lead.

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a search for Imrie Ignition Tester and found a couple of articles about them. Didn't find a direct link to the company, or instructions on how to use it. You might try a Google search.

The company I used to work for did all kinds of diagnostic work on large CDI systems. We sold Coil Testers made by The BG Service Company (NOT cheap).

4. Battleaxe

Battleaxe LawnSite Member

Imrie testers where designed and built in Australia, and are currently marketed by Roy Gripske and Sons , try www.rgs.com.au :blob1:

5. madmower

madmower LawnSite Member

you will need the flywheel simulators for testing the cdi / tci coils thats if you have the imrie 3000 if you have the 325 you have to test on the machine